Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Chicago Transit Authority and SEPTA Deal -- Part 1

Date: 07/31/22 11:06
A Chicago Transit Authority and SEPTA Deal -- Part 1
Author: MartyBernard

CTA ex-6000 series cars on the SEPTA Norristown Line

About 1990 SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority) found itself in a bind for cars for its Norristown High Speed Line. The Brill Bullet cars were shot and the on-order N5s had manufacturing issues. The CTA's old 6000 series was being phased out as new cars arrived.  SEPTA bought some of the 6000s as a stop-gap measure. I made a few detours through Philadelphia to photograph the 6000s in SEPTA livery.  Here is the first of two batches of photos.

Note:  The Norristown High-Speed Line and the Skokie Swift are similar in many ways.  Both start at the edge of the city at the end of a rapid transit line and run a glorified shuttle service to a larger nearby suburb.   The Norristown Line has intermediate stops.  The Swift now has one.  Both have wonderful Interurban histories.

1. SEPTA 489 as a Norristown Express, Gulph Mills, PA on August 6, 1992.

2. SEPTA 486 on August 6, 1992.  Look at that diaphram!  Sharp curves on the CTA L would not allow them.

3. SEPTA 476 at the beginning of its run at the 69th Street Terminal, Upper Darby, PA on July 26, 1992.  You Chicago fans think Howard Street Terminal.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/22 11:49 by MartyBernard.

Date: 07/31/22 11:06
Re: A Chicago Transit Authority SEPTA Deal -- Part 1
Author: MartyBernard

4. SEPTA 480 running as a 69th Street Express in Gulp Mills, PA on August 6, 1992.

5. SEPTA 483 and 482 on the single-track Schuylkill River Bridge just before arriving at Norristown, PA on October 20, 1990.

6. SEPTA 489 arriving Norristown, PA on August 6, 1992.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/22 11:08 by MartyBernard.

Date: 07/31/22 11:27
Author: refarkas

First-rate catches - Interesting, less-often seen transit photos.
Bob

Date: 07/31/22 17:44
Author: BRAtkinson

Of all the equipment on the CTA I remember since first riding it in the 1950s with my dad, the 6000s are still my favorite.  Knowing that the earlier 6000s were created from practically new trade-in PCC (Presidents Conference Committee) street cars hence the standee windows, same seats, motors, interior lights, etc. made them even more interesting to me.  Loud, noisy, and with a speaker system that only made unintelligible sounds announcing the next station stop.  On one of my 2 week projects in Chicago about 1977, I rode the 6000s into and back from the loop every day.  Those cars were built to last and last...and did.  I think they had a much longer service life than anything that came after them. 

Date: 07/31/22 19:46
Author: ironmtn

Super set of images and fine commentary to go with them. Thanks again, Marty.

MC

Date: 08/01/22 08:20
Author: Gonut1

Great shots of cars that held Septa through some tough times. Everytime I saw them I couldn't help but think how gawky they looked riding so high above the rails. The Bullets were long low and sleek in comparison. I regret never taking the time to ride in them or the "Electroliners". 
Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds