Home Open Account Help 152 users online

Nostalgia & History > From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr


Date: 08/05/22 07:00
From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: gcm

Oct 78
Riding the eastbound (I think we were going east) SFZ at Sherman and passing the westbound.
This was during the days that the UP sometimes added an E unit.

Gary








Date: 08/05/22 07:00
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: gcm

.








Date: 08/05/22 07:26
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: SPDRGWfan

The "scenic wonders" of Sherman Hill were underwhelming to me when I road that rain in the mid-1970's.

Why were the SDP40F's led by UP E8's during those years?  Was it a signalling system needed that wasn't installed on the Amtrak units?

Cheers,
Jim



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/22 07:50 by SPDRGWfan.



Date: 08/05/22 07:56
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: ctillnc

I too was underwhelmed taking the SFZ from Denver to Ogden in 1978. But in retrospect I'm glad that as a railfan, I had the chance. Might never happen again. 



Date: 08/05/22 08:05
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: RoadForeman

The E-9's (as well as the SDP-35's)  were added to help make schedule.  The UP received some incentives for on-time performance in those days, and without the additional unit, the train could only make about 60-65mph on the long .82% Wyoming grades.  Doesn't sound like much, but with the extra unit the speeds were closer to 80, while the speed limit was 90MPH whether there was an E helper or not.  The SDP-40F's had Cab Signals compatible with the UP system so that was not an issue.  I fired (and ran a little)on #5 and #6 in those days, and it was always a thrill, especially having to go back through the engine rooms to service the boilers (which were always problematic) at 90MPH.



Date: 08/05/22 08:13
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: RoadForeman

Photo 1 is of course Sherman.  Photos 2 and 3 appear to be West Granite.  Since you are looking at a "double red", you might have been crossed over to Number 1 track after Number 5 cleared. You are, indeed, Eastbound! 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/22 08:54 by RoadForeman.



Date: 08/05/22 08:26
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: Bob3985

Great photos and the sign is still up there on Sherman Hill.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY



Date: 08/05/22 08:44
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: dan

last  couple years of 90 mph running UP was afraid of the superliners at 90, guess the ATSF could not show them the light, or UP didn't care, on the DP speeds dropped from 79 as well iirc



Date: 08/05/22 09:20
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: SPDRGWfan

ctillnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I too was underwhelmed taking the SFZ from Denver
> to Ogden in 1978. But in retrospect I'm glad that
> as a railfan, I had the chance. Might never happen
> again.

I too am glad I got to ride the SFZ, twice as a matter of fact.  First trip was westbound from Osceola IA to Sacramento with domes but I didn't know the route was via Cheyenne and was disappointed I didn't get to go "thru the Rockies", and the second time was from Sacremento to Denver and not domes so another disappointement.

RoadForeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The E-9's (as well as the SDP-35's)  were added
> to help make schedule.  The UP received some
> incentives for on-time performance in those days,
> and without the additional unit, the train could
> only make about 60-65mph on the long .82% Wyoming
> grades.  Doesn't sound like much, but with the
> extra unit the speeds were closer to 80, while the
> speed limit was 90MPH whether there was an E
> helper or not.  The SDP-40F's had Cab Signals
> compatible with the UP system so that was not an
> issue.  I fired (and ran a little)on #5 and #6 in
> those days, and it was always a thrill, especially
> having to go back through the engine rooms to
> service the boilers (which were always
> problematic) at 90MPH.

Thanks for the info.  I've seen photo's of the western portion with SP FP7's leading.  Same thing? 

Cheers,
Jim



Date: 08/05/22 09:25
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: refarkas

Interesting views - Domes certainly opened up new ways to view the scene.
Bob



Date: 08/05/22 09:36
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: DynamicBrake

Nice series, but that second shot is the money shot!  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley



Date: 08/05/22 09:41
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: texchief1

Great shots, Gary!

RC Lundgren



Date: 08/05/22 11:05
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: WAF

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "scenic wonders" of Sherman Hill were
> underwhelming to me when I road that rain in the
> mid-1970's.
>
> Why were the SDP40F's led by UP E8's during those
> years?  Was it a signalling system needed that
> wasn't installed on the Amtrak units?
>
> Cheers,
> Jim

Keep up the schedule
 



Date: 08/05/22 12:29
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: timz

Maybe UP was eager to make time up --
two SDPs could easily keep 5/6's schedule
if no huge delays.



Date: 08/05/22 14:26
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: rbenko

Very cool shots - thanks for posting.

Pretty quick up there in the dome, getting the coming on and going away shot of the westbound SFZ!  Did you push any old ladies out of the way running from the front to the back???



Date: 08/05/22 16:03
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: UP951West

Gary, thanks for posting these slides . I rode the SFZ and had GP40X (9000 class) on the point but speed checks showed 79 mph . Enjoyed the Sherman Hill portion of the trip. 



Date: 08/05/22 16:59
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: dan

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe UP was eager to make time up --
> two SDPs could easily keep 5/6's schedule
> if no huge delays.


Wyoming's wind is a  huge drag



Date: 08/05/22 17:12
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: gcm

rbenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very cool shots - thanks for posting.
>
> Pretty quick up there in the dome, getting the
> coming on and going away shot of the westbound
> SFZ!  Did you push any old ladies out of the way
> running from the front to the back???

As a matter of fact I think I did !
Gary



Date: 08/05/22 17:13
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: gcm

RoadForeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photo 1 is of course Sherman.  Photos 2 and 3
> appear to be West Granite.  Since you are looking
> at a "double red", you might have been crossed
> over to Number 1 track after Number 5 cleared. You
> are, indeed, Eastbound! 

Thanks for all the info.
Gary



Date: 08/05/22 19:31
Re: From the dome - San Francisco Zephyr
Author: RuleG

gcm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Did you push any old ladies out of the
> way
> > running from the front to the back???
>
> As a matter of fact I think I did !
> Gary

I was hoping your reply was something along the lines of "No, that's how I met some young ladies on the trip!"

Nice photos, anyway!



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0539 seconds