Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Nostalgia & History > Southern crew taking a break

Date: 10/05/22 11:54
Southern crew taking a break
Author: gcm

May 78
A rough back lit shot but sort of interesting.
The crew working the area on SW7 1098 stopped for a minute to take a look at a jacknifed truck in Atlanta.
I was at Peachtree Station.

Gary

Date: 10/05/22 13:41
Re: Southern crew taking a break
Author: ts1457

Situation Normal .... for Atlanta

Date: 10/05/22 13:41
Author: SeaboardMan

Traffic has picked up a bit since that photo.
john

Date: 10/05/22 14:08
Author: Roadmaster

Excellent photo!

Matthew

Date: 10/05/22 14:10
Author: engineerinvirginia

The first time I drove into Atlanta I was using paper maps and it was no help getting me to the proper lane for exiting in time to actually do it...so I had to keep my eyes peeled for openings and just wiggle my way over...luckily I made it over without missing my exit...the hotel I was booked at was right at the bottom of the exit and nowadays it's an empty lot. 

Date: 10/05/22 14:13
Author: RailThunder

I remember a family trip going north of I75 (The far right coming at you in this pic) and coming around the corner seeing Amtrak's Southern Crescent on the bridge.  Sure was neat seeing Peachtree Statoin from the interstate.

Date: 10/05/22 14:20
Author: refarkas

Wonderful human interest photo.
Bob

Date: 10/05/22 16:01
Author: texchief1

Neat shot, Gary!

RC Lundgren

Date: 10/05/22 18:03
Author: RMD23

Thanks for posting - based on a review of recent Google Earth images, an amazing change in both the midtown Atlanta buildings and interstate configuration.  The pair of white buildings on horiozn is Colony Square, now dwarfed in the current skyline.  I think the shot was from the western end of the Brookwood Station Platform, looking southward, with the train on the former Atlantic Steel Lead (the steel mill was to tthe right - now track it is just a stub to nowhere used to hold the occassional annulled Crescent consist, but perhaps an access route to a future SE Region HSR station site?).  Long for those days of only minor highway traffic congestion and significant SR local traffic.

Date: 10/05/22 19:17
Author: krm152

Definitely a super catch and a very unusual photo.
Thanks for posting your outstanding photo.
ALLEN

Date: 10/05/22 21:14
Author: ts1457

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first time I drove into Atlanta I was using
> paper maps and it was no help getting me to the
> proper lane for exiting in time to actually do
> it...so I had to keep my eyes peeled for openings
> and just wiggle my way over...luckily I made it
> over without missing my exit...the hotel I was
> booked at was right at the bottom of the exit and
> nowadays it's an empty lot. 

Sounds about right!

Date: 10/06/22 02:59
Author: Roadjob

Well that's a kind of shot I never got! Love it!!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 10/06/22 10:18
Author: ctillnc

> I think the shot was from the western end of the Brookwood Station Platform, looking southward

Yes, southbound 75 headed toward downtown is on the right, the connector from southbound 75 to what was then northbound 85 is in the center, northbound 75 from downtown is on the left, and just under 1098 you can see the connector from southbound 85 to northbound 75. In another few years this area would be completely rebuilt. Haven't heard anything further about an Amtrak station near Atlantic Steel in years. Last I heard, speculation was the site of the former GM BOP plant in Doraville. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds