Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Nostalgia & History > Chessie boxcars galore.

Date: 11/29/22 07:37
Chessie boxcars galore.
Author: Gateway97

Back in the late 70's and early 1980's, Chessie was gathering company boxcars and storing them on the old Hocking Valley second main track   (Then a siding) at Lancaster, Ohio. The line grew from a few cars to quite a line from near Maple Street to Sugar Grove Road near the end of the siding. The first photo is near Sugar Grove Road and the second is from the old PRR Morrow Sub R. O. W. With the C&O Athens Sub curving off towards Logan and Nelsonville, Ohio. Never too many kitties.  Chessie forever! 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/22 07:38 by Gateway97.

Date: 11/29/22 08:40
Re: Chessie boxcars galore.
Author: Heath_Tower

Thanks for dcoumenting this. I lived in Newark, Ohio off and on during this era, while I don't recall seeing this equipment near Lancaster, the Chessie Newark 
yard was filled with older 40' cars, mostly old B&O boxcars. Much of this equipment was white-lined.

Interesting that the waffle-sided boxcar is uncoupled from the plug-door cars.

In addition to the stored cars in Newark, there was a Vanderbilt tender with B&O lettering, close to the east throat of Newark Yard, spotted approximately at
the end of Hazelwood Drive. Last time I seen it was 1980, I never knew what happened to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/22 10:00 by Heath_Tower.

Date: 11/29/22 08:50

Wow! I'd like to have seen that B&O tender! We were there as kids with our mom in 1979, but we never got to the B&O yard. 

Date: 11/29/22 09:42
Author: tomstp

I remember that time.  I was shocked one day to find the Lancaster Yard receiving yard in Ft Worth EMPTY of any cars.  First time I had seen it that way.

Date: 11/29/22 10:14

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember that time.  I was shocked one day to
> find the Lancaster Yard receiving yard in Ft Worth
> EMPTY of any cars.  First time I had seen it that
> way.

I recall that ! I was there from 1986-1990.  Was Lancaster Yard just west of Centennial? 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/22 03:33 by Gateway97.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds