Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Nostalgia & History > Flare Friday: prequel to 'refarkas'?

Date: 12/02/22 11:25
Flare Friday: prequel to 'refarkas'?
Author: santafe199

Earlier today our good man ‘refarkas’ posted an eastbound SD45 roster shot in Joliet, IL for Flare Friday. As I occasionally do, I checked my RR images Master File to see if I had any shots of the same unit. And I scored a direct-hit! The day before he did, I shot the same SD45 580 (give or take) miles to the west in Emporia, KS. I’d say there is a pretty good chance we both shot the same train. Small world, eh...

1. AT&SF 5663 leads train 811 BH-1 through the crossover plant at Merrick on the west side of Emporia, KS. 811 was an LA ~ Chicago intermodal + reefers train, one of my favorite hotshots to capture on K-64. Taken from the Kansas Turnpike overpass embankment on March 30, 1978, just 3 miles ahead this train will undergo an Emporia depot crew change. And once again it will be off to the 70 MPH races. Next crew change: Argentine...

Thanks for comparing!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 12/02/22 11:29
Re: Flare Friday: prequel to 'refarkas'?
Author: x6924w

Nice shot Lance. What was the reefer business Santa Fe had?  

Date: 12/02/22 12:02

x6924w Wrote: > ... What was the reefer business Santa Fe had?

It's called Southern California produce being shipped to eastern markets. Santa Fe had lots of it. Tons of it. MILLIONS of TONS of it...

:^)

Date: 12/02/22 12:46
Author: Roadmaster

Nice looking train . . . interesting cantilever architecture on those high voltage poles.

Matthew

Date: 12/02/22 13:02
Author: PHall

Roadmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice looking train . . . interesting cantilever
> architecture on those high voltage poles.
>
> Matthew

Meant to be wind and ice "resistant".

Date: 12/02/22 13:49
Author: refarkas

Both locos look the same - Perhaps good railfans photograph alike!
Bob

Date: 12/02/22 14:33

refarkas Wrote: > ... Both locos look the same ...

Hi Bob... I found your other shot. The consist is a dead-ringer, and the timing works perfectly. So I'm convinced it's the same train. The head car being different is easy enough to account for: The train most likely got some routine cut & fill work while it was at Argentine... :^)

Lance 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds