Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Nostalgia & History > Tower name ? - from the Cardinal

Date: 01/18/23 06:47
Tower name ? - from the Cardinal
Author: gcm

June 81
Arriving in Cincinnati on the Cardinal, I wondered if anyone could ID this tower we passed.
Interesting old railroad area.

Date: 01/18/23 06:59
Re: Tower name ? - from the Cardinal
Author: dbrcnw

I can't identify the railroad tower in the first (and second) photo but if you're referring to the large buildings in the background that's a bit easier. The largest is the Carew Tower and the second largest with a "pointed" top is the Western-Souther Life Insurance building. (I've been gone from Cincinnati for decades so the Western Southern may have a new name.)

Hope this is of some value.

DaleR

Date: 01/18/23 07:18
Author: Roadmaster

gcm Wrote: " . . . ID this tower we passed."

Looks like MD tower.

https://towns-and-nature.blogspot.com/2018/03/cincinnati-oh-md-cabin-tower-csxc.html

Matthew

Date: 01/18/23 08:15
Author: Cardinalrider13

This appears to be located West of downtown and just north of the bridge over the Ohio River. Union terminal is a little farther North.You can actually see the beautiful Cincinnati skyline from Union Terminal.That area still has heavily used yards nearbye, and was a key transfer point. Here is an old picture of some of the railyards near the terminal. I think you can see old Crosley Field in the background.

Date: 01/18/23 08:55
Author: RailThunder

Your first photo by the tower is going into the commonly called "Ditch Track" of the era that was used to get to the then Amtrak station on River Road.  Once completed you'll back past this tower and continue north toward Hamilton, before veering left to Indianapolis.  

Date: 01/18/23 10:47
Author: gcm

Thanks for the tower info and site location.
Gary

Date: 01/18/23 11:23
Author: crazy_train_999

Definitely MD Cabin.  Check out this website for more photos - Afternoons at MD (cincyrails.com) .  The track you arrived on and its adjacent track are gone now.

Date: 01/18/23 11:25
Author: P

That's a cool photo. You don't see many photos of that tower.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/18/23 12:11

Thanks for the great link. It brings back memories.

Date: 01/18/23 17:19
Author: cabsignaldrop

Great pictures from the Ditch Track! Rare to see these since the Cardinal hasn't used the Ditch Track since the early 90s when they moved back into Union Terminal.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/18/23 19:13

I wonder how long it has been since the Cardinal has travelled through Cincinnati during daylight, except when it was at least 4 hours late. 

Date: 01/18/23 19:25
Author: SandPatch1

WKRP 

Date: 01/19/23 08:52
Author: dbrcnw

This photo is looking south with the Union Terminal in the distance. It was probably taken from the Western Hills Viaduct. It is the passenger coach yard associated with CUT. And yes, on the left side about half-way to CUT the lights are those at Crosley Field.

DaleR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/23 08:56 by dbrcnw.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds