Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Nostalgia & History > Thurmond

Date: 02/27/23 19:20
Thurmond
Author: DavidP

While this is a pretty recent photo taken in May 2021, Thurmond, WV is definitely a nostalgic and historic place along the C&O main.  While permanent residents can be counted on one hand, the remaining buildings are now preserved in the New River Gorge National Park.

Dave

Date: 02/27/23 19:27
Re: Thurmond
Author: Cumberland

Beautiful image!

It looks like it was printed on canvas.

Matthew

Date: 02/27/23 19:47
Author: srman

I think I was there in 2013. One of those buildings was once a bank. There was a sign on the window adverising I think a 3% passbook savings.This was probably from the 1950's. I thought at the time considering what they were paying then that that was a pretty good rate of return and probably still is.   

Date: 02/28/23 07:22
Author: BNSF-E9

It's a bit of a drive to reach Thurmond, but well worth it.

Date: 02/28/23 16:58
Author: Orient

Funny thing about the track arrangement there at Thurmond, the 2 sidings don't connect. It's probably about 100ft or so of track to connect them but... Nope. I don't know why. I don't understand how these tracks are used but from any railroading I've ever done, several miles of double track always seemed to be better than multiple sidings. Why these two basically touch with a single track is bizarre.

Date: 02/28/23 17:17
Author: Lackawanna484

Amazing the glass windows haven't been shot out.

That's an impressive cantilever signals bridge

Date: 03/01/23 08:43
Author: aehouse

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amazing the glass windows haven't been shot out.
>
The buildings are part of a National Park and, I believe,  are maintained by the National Park Service.

Art House

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds