Home Open Account Help 180 users online

Nostalgia & History > Here comes Spring, but what happened to this??

Date: 03/20/23 03:40
Here comes Spring, but what happened to this??
Author: Roadjob

Well, here come the long days and soon the lazt, hazy crazy days of Summer, but where the hell was winter. I think all of the snow never made it over Donner Pass. This is the first time in memory that I did not scrape a flake off of the driveway the entire season. Not complaining though, I did indulge in my current self flagulation golf during January and February. But looking back once more on pictures of my crazy youth, I was reminded of the times when the more white death that dumped on me, the better. I had to post some of these images to remind a lot of us of what we missed. Fifty years ago, a winter like this one would have been disappointing. As an old guy...fore!

top...Westbound at Owego NY.

middle....westbound, Fairhope Pa.

bottom...westbound between Altoona and Horseshoe Curve

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/23 07:53 by Roadjob.

Date: 03/20/23 03:46
Re: Here comes Spring, but what happened to this??

top...M&K Jct. Rowlesburg West Virginia

middle...I put this in because I was in Harrisburg area a few years ago and decided to go trackside. I hadn't shot trains in the snow for years. Got some "cool" shots just east of Newport Pa. but forgot one thing. Step back quickly after taking photo! I got royally snow sprayed by this eastbound

bottom...Altoona was always the begiinning point for me of what became mucho snow up at the top of the mountain

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 03/20/23 03:50

top...snow just made this scene at Cumberland even more depressing

middle...early Penn Central and snow at Altoona. Almost a daily occurence back in early 1970.

bottom...working down Belden Hill toward Binghamton

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/23 03:52 by Roadjob.

Date: 03/20/23 03:54
Author: refarkas

Super snow scenes - If I had taken these, I'd still be thawing out.
Bob

Date: 03/20/23 04:18
Author: ClubCar

All your photos are great Bill, however, the photo of the Western Maryland F unit makes me feel sad as they were not taken care of once they were taken over by the Chessie System.  In the attached photo, we see WM #236 which has been saved and is in the B&O R.R. Museum in Baltimore, though out-of-service because of the past folks who operated the museum.  Prior to their negligence, this unit pulled trains up and down the museum's line.  Thanks for all your photos Bill, they are appreciated.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 03/20/23 04:55
Author: 86235

Love the E-L shot.

Date: 03/20/23 08:12
Author: jgilmore

More great wintry scenes, they just ooze dreariness and cold! And I had to do a double take on the NS shot, was I seeing things right?! Blink, blink, yes I was, an NS shot by Roadjob... ;^)

JG

Date: 03/20/23 10:02
Author: Ritzville

Great Winter scene series, I can feel the cold!. It was a strange Winter this year.

Larry

Date: 03/20/23 10:31
Author: Notch7

Thanks for the wonderful set of snow days.  I especially like the more recent pic of the NS 9737 with the stacks in the curve.  I can imagine the snow spray was worth it for a spirit catching pic like that.

Date: 03/20/23 10:44
Author: RayH

Excellent stuff, as always, Bill. You seemed to have dodged the bullet so far. We've had our fair share of snow in Northern Arizona this winter (more on they way!)

This is #4 in Flagstaff on 1/21/23.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0748 seconds