Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Nostalgia & History > NJDOT E8 Bound Brook NJ 1978

Date: 03/27/23 01:07
NJDOT E8 Bound Brook NJ 1978
Author: erielackawanna

Someone once said to me, if you stand trackside long enough you'll see everything. Now, truth be known, I've stood trackside quite a long bit of time over the years and don't want to think about what I may have accomplished in all those hours had I not, but  I have at times seen some weird things. On February 17, 1978, I was at Bound Brook, New Jersey, where Conrail had three lines, the old CNJ, the old Lehigh Valley, and the old Reading. Althoughthere was an annoying fence in the way, it was a great place to go stand trackside and see what came. I never suspected this however... a lone NJDOT badged E8 (former PRR and PC) came by going west. Only thing I could ever figure was maybe there was something they could do in Raritan that they couldn't do in South Amboy or Elizabethport? What that might be, will never be known. Charles Freericks photograph.

Date: 03/27/23 11:12
Re: NJDOT E8 Bound Brook NJ 1978
Author: Lackawanna484

Nice picture. I wonder if the E unit was going out to pick up a string of equipment for service back at E'Port?  E-units on the Raritan Valley line were very unusual in those days.

Governor Byrne "loaned" a U34CH and coaches to the RVL for a few weeks while the state was pitching a new Transportation Bond Act back in those days. Tease riders with the cars they might get if they voted for the bond act.

Date: 03/27/23 15:04
Re: NJDOT E8 Bound Brook NJ 1978
Author: krm152

An interesting scene from a very rough winter.
Thanks for your photo posting.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0274 seconds