Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Nostalgia & History > GE pug nose in the HP night

Date: 03/27/23 12:29
GE pug nose in the HP night
Author: santafe199

Here’s another stab at P-shopping a lousy HP scan from way back in 2013. I kinda like some of the color correction. But I just couldn’t get rid of all of the cyan on the right side of the nose. I didn’t try very hard because I could see the black residue in the shadow area wasn’t going to come out at all. But that’s OK ‘cause I’ll just re-scan this slide when I get the chance (snicker)... I’m currently scheduled to run out of ‘project irons in the fire’ sometime in the year 2073. (I’ll only be 118, so do stay tuned... ;^)

1. UP 2473 at Salina, KS just after midnight on January 1, 1981. HP scan

Thanks for looking, but not too close!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/23 12:30 by santafe199.

Date: 03/27/23 17:09
Re: GE pug nose in the HP night
Author: texchief1

Nice one,Lance!

Randy

Date: 03/28/23 04:30
Author: Roadjob

Night photography could be very challenging in color. I found out the hard way! All in all, a great effort since that cyan was ingrained into the image by the lighting that night.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 03/28/23 08:12

Roadjob Wrote: > ... since that cyan was ingrained into the image by the lighting that night ...

That HP scan was almost 10 years ago when my learning curve was still very steep. I think whenever I get around to re-scanning that slide with my V550 I'll be able to eliminate most of the cyan before I take the image into Photoshop. And the shadow 'residue' will probably not even show up. In the time-honored phrase "they" say experience is the best teacher. But I like to call it: trial & error, HEAVY on the error... ;^)

Lance

Date: 03/28/23 10:29
Author: mcfflyer

Hey Lance, nice shot.  Gotta ask you: does UP have anything in Salina any more?

Lee Hower - Sacramento 

Date: 03/28/23 10:50

mcfflyer Wrote: > ... does UP have anything in Salina any more?

Lots of mostly empty tracks... Although it's still a crew change point, there is no longer any yardmaster job at Salina. Maybe a couple of switch jobs remain, but the KYLE now has to put their own trains together before leaving. There are mobile fueling tanker trucks, but the actual roundhouse was deserted and its personnel are long gone. Even the turntable was torn out. Thanks to the pencil pushers Salina is a pitiful ghost of what it once was. Here are 3 links you should look at: ( Does anyone remember Salina? (trainorders.com) ), ( KYLE is lonesome (trainorders.com) ) & ( Emptiness at Salina (trainorders.com) )  Very sad stuff...

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0555 seconds