Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Nostalgia & History > Muskingum Electric RR -- Research assistance requested.

Date: 03/27/23 13:23
Muskingum Electric RR -- Research assistance requested.
Author: namurry9791

Good afternoon TO members:

I am writing today to (hopefully) enlist the assistance of some individuals with a railroad research / preservation project I am (slowly) working on.

My favorite railroading operation has been the Muskingum Electric Railroad (MERR) in Ohio, which was a heavy electric shortline that transported coal for AEP / Central Ohio Coal from 1969 to ~2002.  It was unique for several reasons, including its automated electrical control design, simple-yet-effective high-voltage catenary system, powerful electric locomotives, and custom Ortner 100-ton coal hoppers in two set trains, among other things.  It ran a single-track RoW through some beautiful Ohio countryside.  This system fascinates me, not only for the reasons above, but as one with engineering background, as a railfan and as a fan of juicejacks.  It can be hard to explain why a particular railroading operation seizes one’s imagination, but this one has mine.

Over the years I have made a hobby of collecting original slides of the MERR operation, (now approaching 300).  In recent years, that hobby has developed into more of a preservation effort, where I am collecting ANYTHING that is connected to the MERR – from ‘easy-to-find’ documentation in the form of ‘Trains’ or old railroad industry periodicals, to the ‘one-of-a-kind’ AEP company magazines, AEP locomotive prints, locomotive drawings and related material.  I have uploaded a few slides have been uploaded to Railpictures, (I am the only one who has MERR photos there).

The end goal is to compile a complete history of this operation’s story and place in railroad history.  I am doing this by creating a large slide photo website, along with my own text based on all the documentation I possess.  I am also using ArcGIS Pro & QGIS to create an interactive web mapping application of the line and details around it, using current map layers, older satellite imagery, and other sources.

I am currently looking for any artifact or information related to the MERR, but in particular – original slides, digital or print photos, maps, and documentation of any kind.  Even more valuable would be any first-hand accounts I can note, (one of which I already received from a gracious member of TO).  I am willing to pay reasonable prices for any of these items, with the foreknowledge of a preservation use.  I am already soliciting the Ohio DNR and AEP itself for possible information and involvement, (longshots, I know).  I have also looked over several threads on TO.  PLEASE NOTE that this is a pretty slow-moving project, (I have a special-needs child, and often little time for hobbies), but I am making steady progress.  For anyone who may have any of the above items to share or sell, please know that they will be properly cared for, and displayed as they should.

One may say, “who cares about a shortline that transported coal (yuck) over 50 years ago??”  Simply put, I do (when I have time to anyway), and I’d like to try to preserve this one little piece of railroad history how I can.  I would greatly appreciate any assistance that any TO member could offer.  You can reach me by PM on Train Orders (namurry9791) or by emailing me:  nate (at) muskingumelectricrr (dot) org.

Thank you in advance!!

--Nate

Date: 03/27/23 13:32
Re: Muskingum Electric RR -- Research assistance requested.
Author: Notch16

Regret I've nothing to offer... except best wishes and a shout out for having such a well-staked and comprehensive goal. Good fortunes to you, and I hope your efforts pay out!

~ Bob Z.

Date: 03/27/23 14:09
Re: Muskingum Electric RR
Author: timz

You've seen the Trains article from
when it was new?

Date: 03/27/23 20:41

Good evening all:

Bobz:  Thank you for the well-wishes.  I have given this project a lot of thought and effort so far, and I know there has to be more good material out there.

Timz:  Yes -- Trains did a coupe articles, and I have everything they published.  That was one of the 'easier' finds.  Several other industry magazines have been much harder to come by, even ones I did not know existed.  I have been blessed to come across some very good material thus far.

--Nate

Date: 03/28/23 07:39
Author: ntharalson

Out of curiosity, have you seen the Guy Wicksall video of that operation?  It's a part of a compliation of shots taken on a trip in the 90's into Kentucky and Tennessee.  I don't know where you could find a copy, and no, you can't have mine!  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/23 18:41 by ntharalson.

Date: 03/28/23 12:58

Hi Nick:

Thank you; I do not think I have heard of him or his videos.  He appears to be connected to Revelation Video somehow, as he is repeatedly linked in the searches.  I do have about 2 or 3 minutes of MERR footage from one of their videos, and that is it.  If nothing else, can you tell me anything about the video itself?  Is there a title, publication date or the like?  The comment about finding a copy implies it was published, and if I know what to look for, I probably will find it somewhere.  Any further information helps, thanks.

--Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/23 21:38 by namurry9791.

Date: 03/28/23 18:44
Author: ntharalson

Nate:  I've helped you as much as I can.  I was not aware Mr. Wicksall was affiliated with any commercial video operation.  The video shows #100 and #200 leading separate train, mostly takne along the right-of-way.  Wicksall was a traction fan which is what brought him to Mukingum Electric.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 03/28/23 21:33

Hi Nick:  Thank you.  If you ever want to lend the footage, let me know.

All:
Attached is an screenshot of the MERR project from ArcGIS Pro.  I have digitized most of the RoW (bold red, directly south of Cumberland), and the tipple property area is black cross-hatched, (but not featured yet).  The basemaps are USGS quadrangle geoTIFF rasters and the Firefly Hybrid World imagery.  There are also layers for roads (purple) and bridges.  This view is the northern end of the lines, and one can also see where the B&O used to connect to the MERR just south of Cumberland (not distinctly featured yet either), which ended up disappearing.  Much work remains, but getting this stuff in ArcGIS is a lot of fun.

--Nate

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/23 21:39 by namurry9791.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds