Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Nostalgia & History > Turbo Tuesday

Date: 05/16/23 14:05
Turbo Tuesday
Author: swaool

In photos 1 and 2, we see Amtrak turbo 61 at Joliet IL in August 1974, running as a Chicago - St. Louis train on the former GM&O.  In photo 3, I found former Amtrak turbo 59 in an auto junkyard near Ellis IN on July 1, 2004.  No idea how it got there or why, but recent Google Earth images indicate that it is still there, along with a couple of coaches, quietly rusting away.

mike woodruff
spokane wa

Date: 05/16/23 15:48
Re: Turbo Tuesday
Author: vern

The Monon RR I&L coal branch used to pass on the east side of that property.

Vernon Sargent
Greencastle, IN

Date: 05/16/23 18:42
Author: wabash2800

I saw it too some years ago. My understanding is that is was a wreck that was transported to the junk yard by truck from Beach Grove in Indianapolis. I just happened to be driving down that country road while visiting Southern Indiana with my girlfriend and about lost it when I saw what was on the side of the road.

Victor Baird

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/23 11:35 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/17/23 07:26
Author: King_Coal

I loved the big, clear windows on those turbos after making the transition from scratched lexan on ex-PC corridor coaches then small Amfleet.It was a nice change. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 05/17/23 08:43
Author: ctillnc

Interesting... most of the autos appear to be gone from the junkyard, but the trainsets are still there. The aluminum content isn't worth a scrapper's time? 

Date: 06/04/23 11:22
Author: amtraknortheast1

Unfortunately, I received news yesterday morning that power car #59 was scrapped recently. It was spotted intact as recently as mid May. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds