Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Nostalgia & History > Most Powerful Reading Diesel

Date: 05/27/23 09:33
Most Powerful Reading Diesel
Author: RDG630

The five EMD SD45 loocomotives (7600-7604) at 3, 600 hp were the most powerful single unit diesels on the Reading. They were unique among all SD45's as they had the front windows extended 11 inches to accomodate dual control stands.
First Bethlehem Engine Terminal
Second Port Richmond, Philadelphia
 Third eastbound at Pottstown, Pa

Date: 05/27/23 10:07
Re: Most Powerful Reading Diesel
Author: Evan_Werkema

Thanks for the pictures - never realized the Reading SD45's had those extended cab fronts.  Did they have two individual control stands or one big "dual controller" with controls on both sides?  I know the PRSL GP38's with extended fronts had the dual controller, and I've been in a locomotive with two separate control stands that had normally-shaped cab.

Date: 05/27/23 10:17
Author: 3rdswitch

Great trio.
JB

Date: 05/27/23 10:53
Author: jgilmore

Nice bunch, love those RDG 45s!

JG

Date: 05/27/23 11:10
Author: refarkas

First-class set of photos.
Bob

Date: 05/27/23 11:14
Author: cr2581

They had one big dual controller.

Date: 05/27/23 11:20
Author: HotWater

cr2581 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They had one big dual controller.

So, that would be the "Duplex Control Stand" in the middle of the cab, and NOT "Dual Controls", with two separate control stands?

Date: 05/27/23 11:44

HotWater Wrote:

> So, that would be the "Duplex Control Stand" in the middle of the cab, and NOT "Dual Controls", with two separate control stands?

What was the reasoning behind the Duplex Control Stand?  What advantages did it offer or problems did it solve relative to the two separate stands that EMD had used earlier?

Date: 05/27/23 12:52
Author: HotWater

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
> HotWater Wrote:
>
> > So, that would be the "Duplex Control Stand" in
> the middle of the cab, and NOT "Dual Controls",
> with two separate control stands?
>
> What was the reasoning behind the Duplex Control
> Stand? 

Developed primarily for switcher units. Far less expensive than "Dual Control Stands" with all the double controller mechanisms, switches, and electrical circuits. The "Duplex Controller" had only one set of electrical equipment, with the throttle and reverser on common levers, which moved on each side of the control stand. Thus, the throttle on the left side also moved when the throttle on the right side was being used (sit too close on the opposite side, and the throttle would would whack you in the side, as the Engineer was using his).

What advantages did it offer or problems
> did it solve relative to the two separate stands
> that EMD had used earlier?

Wasn't intended to solve any problems, but was much, MUCH less expensive than the "Dual Controls" option.

Date: 05/27/23 14:08

HotWater Wrote:

> Wasn't intended to solve any problems, but was much, MUCH less expensive than the "Dual Controls" option.

Thank you for the answers. 

Date: 05/27/23 18:51
Author: CPR_4000

Finally we learn the correct terminology! Thank you, Hotwater.

Date: 05/28/23 07:48
Author: ns2557

Shots 2 & 3 look like the same consist, but different cars on head end. Engineer even looks like the same gent in both shot's. Great shots.  Ben

Date: 05/28/23 08:01
Author: NYSWSD70M

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
> Thanks for the pictures - never realized the
> Reading SD45's had those extended cab fronts. 
> Did they have two individual control stands or one
> big "dual controller" with controls on both
> sides?  I know the PRSL GP38's with extended
> fronts had the dual controller, and I've been in a
> locomotive with two separate control stands that
> had normally-shaped cab.

They had the very maintenance intensive single - switcher style control stand. It was full of linkages and chains. The U30C's and second order of C630's also had these. Either the Reading or Conrail removed them from some units. I was on some of the ex RDG U30C's, some of which still had them, some removed. I believe the surviving C630 (5308) has had it removed.

I wonder if this control stand configuration is why the CNW did not reactivate the four Reading SD45's that they bought.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/30/23 09:19
Author: RDG630

They did run long hood front at times which I think was the reasoning

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/01/23 10:25
Author: NYSWSD70M

RDG630 Wrote:
> They did run long hood front at times which I
> think was the reasoning
>
> Posted from iPhone

The idea was that they could respond quickly to a request for service as part of the "Bee Line" concept.  The idea was that the Reading would use reduced crews (through an agreement with the union) and a limited number of cars (something like 20) and respond quickly and move the cars for the shipped directly from point to point in an expedited fashion.  The dual control would enable them to use the engine without the need for turning.

The service never caught on and as such, the units ended up adding 15 modern 6 axle units to the already existing 7 C630 on the roster.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0718 seconds