Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Nostalgia & History > Another Photo Needing Caption Help

Date: 05/27/23 14:13
Another Photo Needing Caption Help
Author: MartyBernard

This is what I have:

Southern RR, Ashville, KY July 1972.  Bill Howes photo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/23 14:17 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/27/23 14:18
Re: Another Photo Needing Caption Help
Author: timz

Must be a business car on the end? And a
business dome? Doesn't really look like a
dome lounge -- wouldn't be a diner, would it?
Or was that all that was left after Autotrain
got their domes?

Date: 05/27/23 14:54
Author: ATSFSuperCap

The cars in the back are fantrip cars.   The dome is an X-Wabash  Union Pacific style dome coach built for the City of St. Louis.   The car behind it is a modernized heavyweight coach.   The dome was one of two owned by Southern the other being a Pullman Standard flat glass dome like a Super Chief Pleasure Dome but is a coach, also X-Wabash.    They were used on the back of the Southern Crescent from Atlanta to New Orleans and on the Nancy Hanks.    Also could have been used on fantrip trains.

Date: 05/27/23 18:14
Author: srman

That's the Lookout Mountain on the top right. Rode in it a couple of times before I think it was involed in a wreck in 1986. Back end was open air with no seats. Fun times. Also I have never heard of Ashville Ky. Have rode and chased the Southern from Cincinnati to the Tennessee Line and Louisville to Danville. So I'm a little confused by the location.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/23 18:18 by srman.

Date: 05/28/23 07:02
Author: Gonut1

Lookout Mountain is now operating on the Reading and Northern.
Gonut

Date: 05/28/23 07:03
Author: Gonut1

Lookout Mountain is now operating on the Reading and Northern.
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,5685333
Gonut

Date: 05/28/23 08:40
Author: Notch7

The train in the foreground looks like an Asheville Special consist (SOU trains 3 & 4).  From the rear you have a 1032-1046 series coach - rebuilt from a Pullman by Hayne car shops, then the dome coach assigned to the Asheville Special, and last visible a 950 series coach buffet lounge (which was the usual backup for the dome when it went to Hayne for shopping).  The other train is the usual excursion equipment.  Could this be in Asheville NC or Salisbury NC ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/23 08:41 by Notch7.

Date: 05/28/23 15:07
Author: BuddPullman

That's right ATSF Super El Cap, the dome is fomer Wabash 203, Pullman Standard 1958, built for the Union Pacific Wabash "Domeliner City of St Louis", assigned St. Louis to Los Angeles.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds