Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Nostalgia & History > A CSX Photovoltaic Hopper Train

Date: 05/31/23 11:58
A CSX Photovoltaic Hopper Train
Author: MartyBernard

CSX SD40-2 8867, ex-CR 6523, on May 7, 2013 headed a train of hopper cars that have photovoltaic cells (solar panels) to control the air-operated hopper doors. The photovoltiacs are easy to see. The train spreads ballast along the tracks as it moves slowly down a track. But is not in the pictures.

The photovoltaics also provide power to a GPS transponder to assure the dump is precise.  The operation is all computer program controlled.

1, 2, and 3. I caught this southbound train on the ex-RF&P with three shots at 5:44 pm at Fredericksburg, VA.

4. I beat it to Ashland, VA and took another shot as it ran through town at 6:45 pm.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/23 13:18 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/31/23 12:02
Re: A CSX Photovoltaic Hopper Train
Author: MartyBernard

Date: 05/31/23 12:56
Author: engineerinvirginia

photovoltaic? Could we just say....solar panel? 

Date: 06/01/23 07:28
Author: colehour

I saw a Herzog ballast train in action in Hammond, Ind. It was pretty amazing to see how precisely the ballast was being dumped. I don't recall if the cars had solar panels.

Date: 06/01/23 09:20
Author: Lackawanna484

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw a Herzog ballast train in action in Hammond,
> Ind. It was pretty amazing to see how precisely
> the ballast was being dumped. I don't recall if
> the cars had solar panels.

The Herzog ballast cars working on the BrightLine in south Florida are equipped with solar panels and GPS. A technician equipped with a tablet walks alongside. They open and close the various air-flow doors.

Very precise, they can shut the doors within inches of a crossing, etc, and reopen them on the other side.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0351 seconds