Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Nostalgia & History > UI calls on the wire and tells me a little message. [Don’t hav

Date: 06/02/23 08:00
UI calls on the wire and tells me a little message. [Don’t hav
Author: flynn

Page 663 Monday, March 27th, 1922

12:01 am at Iron Bridge.  GM Cliff.  Kent 12:25 am.  (Lunch).  11:30 am.  Just took a notion to get out of bed.  Dan gets a haircut.  Jack a clean shave.  Searching the letters of old.  A trip and a thought.  First (T.P.) of the year 1922.  A walk to Wolcott.  Some biz at the store.  The 2 1/2 gold piece.  Oilvet Joe speaks a word or two.  B. on the job.  Weather stormy.  Esther's sister present waiting for local.  All goes well until 4:45 pm.  UI calls on wire and tells me a little message.  To Shoshone with Pierce on Special 786 West.  Lola sick.  Engine arrives in 10 minutes.  All set.  Called Dan on phone - to pack my bundle.  OK.  Hesitated at Gypsum to meet No. 16.  Arrived HN 6:10 pm.  Gomer has sorrow too.  Supper.  Card playing.  No. 4 arrives.  V.I. also.  Voilet and I raise (Cain).  GN. 

Page 664 Tuesday, March 28th, 1922

Awake at 2 am but all was still.  Shoshone as it looks at 7:00 am.  Breakfast tardy.  Returned to depot opened all windows and doors and then went to Bunk house.  The new section foreman in Brown's place.  Newland decides to leave on April 1st.  Guess I better go to depot.  7:55 am.  A line up for Adair which I did not get.  A message to Glenwood.  A sweeping necessary.  10:06 am.  Extra East arrives.  A wait order until 10:40 am.  No. 15 and Special West arrive.  A package from RU.  F. Jones on the scene and a cool reception.  Talking to Kn about rates.  Teasing the kids until 4:00 pm.  Washed somebodies face.  Ha.  Mrs. Kilgore not very well.  Better keep quiet.  11 pm. 

Page 665 Wednesday, March 29th, 1922

7:00 am.  Out for breakfast.  A keen day.  The usual program until 9:00 am.  Frances wants to go to Glenwood on No. 15.  Ok Fs.  Mrs. Kilgore growing worse.  A relapse.  Asked Bill to go and eat.  Ok.  But at 12:20 Mr. Vanhorn called me.  A wreck at Grizzly.  Extra 1115 East.  Biz picks up.  Engine 1113 arrives 1:05 pm.  Jim Flynn pays a visit.  Time rolls.  Better get busy.  One great time until wrecker arrives 5:00 pm.  J. Sullivan stops over.  Frances calls from GN.  Ok Fs.  Arrives at 6:10 pm.  Orders "galore".  Mrs. Kilgore decides to go to Salida on No. 16.  No. 1 arrives and stays until 11:30 pm.  No. 4 and No. 16 meet (supposed to) Extra West at Shoshone.  Quite undecided whether to retire or not.  12:00 pm. 

Page 666 Thursday, March 30th, 1922

12:01 am.  Resting on the bench.  No. 4 due to arrive at 12:35 am but missed it.  12:50 am.  No. 16 at 1:00 am.  Freight comes west and blocks the biz.  Fixes a hot box.  No. 4 out at 1:25 am.  No. 16 out at 1:35 am with Mrs. Kilgore aboard.  Vanhorn and Mr. Berger chat but Jack retires.  Snooze.  6:45 am.  Awake.  Out on time.  Breakfast.  Everything all cleared away.  Newland goes to Grizzly with Adair.  Frances appears at 9:00 and washing windows to see what she could see.  All quiet.  Cloudy and stormy day in afternoon.  Sick folks improving in Salida.  Newland and I take a long walk after supper - above tunnel and back.  A joke on Fs.  Cards until 10:30 pm.  Goodnite. 

When the Denver and Rio Grande reached Salida [1880] did it have a decision to make whether to go west to Grand Junction by Marshall Pass, Gunnison and the Black Canyon or west by Tennessee Pass, Glenwood Canyon and Glenwood Springs or was not much known of the second route?

Pictures from Denver Public library. 

Picture 1, Call Number: Z-6933.  Credit: Denver Public Library.  Title: Gunnison.  Creator: Nims, F. A.  Date: 1882.  Summary: A train stops at the Denver and Rio Grande Railway station in Gunnison (Gunnison County), Colorado. Men stand around the engine and on the boardwalk of the long wood frame side gable depot.  Format of Original Material: 1 photographic print on stereo card : stereograph, albumen ; 10 x 18 cm (4 x 7 in.). 

Picture 2, Call Number: WHJ-1708.  Credit: Denver Public Library.  Title: [Marshall] Pass, West Side.  Creator: Jackson, William Henry, 1843-1942.  Date: [1880-1886?].  Summary: View of a Denver and Rio Grand Railway freight train on Marshall Pass, Saguache County, Colorado. Men stand on the locomotive and sit on boxcars. Shows loose railroad ties near the tracks, clear-cut trees and dense forests.  Format of Original Material: 1 photoprint : albumen ; 41 x 53 cm (16 x 21 in.) mounted on album page. 

Picture 3, Call Number: CRRM-2012.285.0678.  Credit: Denver Public Library.  Title: D&RGW train with engine 494, engine type 2-8-2.  Creator: Hallock, Ralph E.  Date: Sep 19, 1948.  Summary: Denver and Rio Grande Western Railway Company (D&RGW) narrow gauge Rocky Mountain Railroad Club Special at Sargent CO, 2-8-2 494 & 11 cars. Also known as MacArthur Type engine. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/23 08:09 by flynn.

Date: 06/02/23 08:15
Re: UI calls on the wire and tells me a little message. [Don’t
Author: flynn

Don't have the telegraph code for UI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/23 08:17 by flynn.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.096 seconds