Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Nostalgia & History > Where? (no rail, probably -- says California, 1930)

Date: 06/02/23 11:22
Where? (no rail, probably -- says California, 1930)
Author: timz

https://flickr.com/photos/skyhawkpc/15819349591/in/album-72157632008286563/

Did someone have big plans for this
subdivision, and they went kaflooey?
Anyway, a distinctive area, presumably
in south state. Wonder if that line of trees
ahead of the lead Curtiss runs along
a property line that crosses the street.

How about that line of poles in the
lower right corner? Looks like it ends
there -- could it be a streetcar line?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/23 11:35 by timz.

Date: 06/02/23 20:03
Re: Where? (no rail, probably -- says California, 1930)
Author: Gonut1

Nifty photo! Hopefully someone knowlegeable of the area can fill in the blanks. That was some sort of trolley line, or maybe a trolley freight line.
Go

Date: 06/04/23 21:43
Re: Where? (no rail, probably -- says California, 1930)
Author: SCAX3401

It took some time, but I can now identify the location of the photograph.  The airplanes are heading westward over the Point Loma Heights area of San Diego.  This is northwest of the downtown area across the harbor.  If you look up Silver Gate Elementary School, it sits today in that large lot of undeveloped, tree filled land.

I don't believe there were any railroad lines, streetcar or otherwise in that area, but I don't know the entire history of San Diego trolley lines.  This area was under development in the 1930s.  It was common back then for developers to grade the property and install roads and utilites but not build the houses right away.  It was more common for a buyer to purchase a lot then build a home on it.  Of course the developer could help you with that but in many cases you could build it yourself or hire someone to do so.  Many Los Angeles and San Diego "suburbs" were built up in this matter.  The earliest aerial photos for this area is from the early 1950s and the entire area has been built on so it definitely wasn't a failed enterprise, just one photogaphed in its infancy.

Date: 06/05/23 09:59
Re: California, 1930
Author: timz

How did you go about figuring that?

So guess the surmised streetcar wasn't --
no streetcar line would have its north end there.

Date: 06/06/23 21:48
Re: California, 1930
Author: SCAX3401

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How did you go about figuring that?
>
> So guess the surmised streetcar wasn't --
> no streetcar line would have its north end there.

Ok, I have done more research and its seems that it might be the right of way of the Point Loma Railway with operated from roughtly 1909 to 1924.  Specifically this might have been part of the OB Loop of that railroad.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds