Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Nostalgia & History > Seaboard Coast Line SCL somewhere freight & pass pre-Amtrak

Date: 09/17/23 08:26
Seaboard Coast Line SCL somewhere freight & pass pre-Amtrak
Author: KCRW287

A short film showing green and yellow Seaboard Geeps in action and wyeing a passenger train, the train has E units, 1 white the other black. I cannot find the final view of the last leg of the train getting wyed. A Southern passenger train is included. This film came from a reel from the Atlanta area, so I figure it might be from the Atlanta area, but I might be wrong. Unknown photographer,  KCRW287 collection

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/17/23 10:03
Re: Seaboard Coast Line SCL somewhere freight & pass pre-Amtrak
Author: gcw

Yes, Atlanta area. The bulk of the video appears to have been shot from the Howell Mill Rd overpass, next to the old SAL Howell Yard.

Date: 09/17/23 10:55
Author: Notch7

Thanks for posting this awesome video from Atlanta.  Based on the film vintage and consists,  the Southern train appears to be No. 38 - the Crescent.  No.38 picked up its diner at Greenville SC.  The Crescent lounge served sandwiches, drinks, and snacks out of Atlanta.  No. 38 started carrying some heavyweight coaches out of Atlanta after being combined with No. 30.  The SCL passenger train is the Silver Comet with Seaboard's famous pet E9 3060 - renumbered 599 on the point.  I think I saw one of the Silver Meteor's  old coach buffet observations in the consist - probably subbing for the usual ex-Meteor tavern-coach.  The ALCO Century 430 demo eventually becomes SCL 1275.  It looks to be maybe 1969.

Date: 09/17/23 13:42
Author: krm152

Thanks for posting this wonderful video.  Especially liked the SOU passenger train at the end.
ALLEN

Date: 09/17/23 14:32
Author: boejoe

Nice assortment of early diesel models and colors.  I think the Seaboard "white" started as a very light shade of green that faded to white in the sub-tropical sun rays of the South.
jb

Date: 09/17/23 14:39
Author: train1275

What a super cool video !!
I love that C430.
And everything else too.

Date: 09/17/23 19:45
Author: GN599

train1275 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a super cool video !!
> I love that C430.
> And everything else too.

I agree! I didn't expect to see many Alcos in this film. I forget sometimes the L&N had C420's. I always thought they were snappy looking.

Date: 09/18/23 16:09
Author: ProAmtrak

Awesome video, one spot where you could probably spend all day watching the action!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds