Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Nostalgia & History > Another Baltimore Streetcar Story

Date: 02/20/24 08:03
Another Baltimore Streetcar Story
Author: ClubCar

As I have stated several times, I am a member of the Baltimore Streetcar Museum and have been for decades.  There are so many interesting stories that I have either heard about from other old time members or have read about in all the many books and other publications.  One of the most interesting stories involves the 1930 Brill Company "Peter Witt" Streetcar that operates at the museum.  This car #6119 is one of two of these Baltimore Cars that have been saved with the other one being #6144 which operates at the Seashore Trolley Museum at Kennebunkport, Maine,  The amazing thing about the Baltimore Car #6119 is during its' lifetime in daily operation from 1930 until it was retired in 1955, there were many, many photographs taken in many locations by various photographers.  Obviously, many other Baltimore "Peter Witt" Cars were photographed, yet I'd be willing to bet that the #6119 was photographed the most.  Here are a few:  1, on the #32 line when it was fairly new, 2. again on the #32 line by the famous Gwynn Oak Amusement Park (photo by George Voith), 3. on a charter trip on the #26 Sparrows Point Line.  The reason why this car was the one saved for the Baltimore Museum was because it had a good maintenance history according to a former Baltimore Transit Company Motorman and museum member, the late Carvey Davis.  There are many more photos of this same car in various streetcar publications through the years.  All photos are in my collection.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/20/24 08:12
Re: Another Baltimore Streetcar Story
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE and interesting photos and very interesting narrative John.

Larry

Date: 02/20/24 11:41
Author: BrynMawr

John, Ialwayslike seeing the pixyou post.  Having grown up near the end of Capital Transit's Cabin John line which was originally built to access the Glen Echo Amusement Park, I particularly like the shot w/ the roller coaster. 

Date: 02/20/24 14:57
Author: ClubCar

BrynMawr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John, Ialwayslike seeing the pixyou post.  Having
> grown up near the end of Capital Transit's Cabin
> John line which was originally built to access the
> Glen Echo Amusement Park, I particularly like the
> shot w/ the roller coaster. 
Thanks for your comment Bryn Mawr.  What many people may not know is that at one time the old United Railway and Electric Company, which became the Baltimore Transit Company, actually owned Gwynn Oak Amusement Park.  When the Bus Company took over, the park was sold to a private individual, and that photo taken by the late George J. Voith was taken in 1955, just before the #32 line was converted to bus operations.  The roller coaster, known as the "Big Dipper" along with the park continued to operate until 1973, after a devastating tropical storm caused much flood damage to the entire area from the Gwynn Falls Stream that ran through the park.  Today, the area is just a plain park with grass, trees and a picnic area.
John

Date: 02/20/24 16:22
Author: refarkas

Photo two with the roller coaster reminds us that many streetcar lines served amusement parks. This was a win-win situation.
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds