Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Nostalgia & History > D&H Alco's passenger train power PA's Delaware & Hudson

Date: 03/16/24 11:08
D&H Alco's passenger train power PA's Delaware & Hudson
Author: KCRW287

This post has a 5 minute video of the D&H, I think some is at Albany and Fort Edward, views from the ground and dutch door shots, with a little black smoke added in. I have no year this was taken, there is PC E units shown along with a New Haven passenger train, any info welcome. Jim Woodfield film, my collection, KCRW287

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/16/24 11:49
Re: D&H Alco's passenger train power PA's Delaware & Hudson
Author: CPR_4000

Nice stuff! Looks like a CP 2200 series coach in the northbound ride shots. I'd say it was shot about 1969; the New Haven train on the Park Ave viaduct has a couple of Pennsy cars in consist, but the FL9's have not been renumbered yet.

Date: 03/16/24 12:48
Author: Hou74-76

Nice video, well worth watching!  That PA was smoking more than I remember when riding passenger trains behind them.

Date: 03/16/24 16:37
Author: krm152

Definitely a very nice video.  Agree with CPR_4000 on the 1969 date for the same reasons.
Thanks for posting this video.
ALLEN

Date: 03/16/24 19:14
Author: march_hare

First, note that all of this is the pre-Amtrak D&H Laurentian. 

Opening scenes are at the Albany Rensselaer station, almost certainly in the mid morning, waiting for the connection from NYC to arrive. A/R station is new at this time. 

Note that the PAs were maintained at the Colonie shops, and made a deadhead move down to A/R or to Albany Union Station. The shots of a light PA or a PA with only 1-2 cars were probably shot in this short segment   

Note that some of the later sequences show activity at Albany Union, which was abandoned with the completion of the new Albany Rensselaer station. Thus, this film is not in chronological sequence. 

Also note that the train he's Dutch dooming on includes both CP and EL coaches. Each was fairly common during summer months, but I've never seen both on the same train. 

First Dutch door sequence is immediately after an A/R departure, starting up West Albany hill. 

Date: 03/16/24 19:18
Author: march_hare

Scenes with rocky cliffs are just north of Willsboro, including the tunnel. 

Right after this, we have both the northbound and southbound crossing the B&M diamond at XO tower, Mechanicville. 

Date: 03/17/24 08:49
Author: KCRW287

Thanks too all for the information. I never put it as a pre-Amtrak train, but I should have with the PC E-units in some background scenes. On my 7 inch reels none of them are in chronological order, the D&H was on 2 different reels. The ground action shots were edited in after I had it ready to post. Thanks again for the info. KCRW287

Date: 03/18/24 07:58
Author: DavidP

What an awesome video!  Thanks for sharing it.  Coincidentally, "Valmont" posted an excellent picture of the Rio Grande's Prospector - https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,5834043.  Many of the cars in the D&M film were on the Prospector a couple of years earlier.

Also, the train shown at about 3:15 in the film is carrying a PC 10-6 sleeper.  Not sure the location, but could this be the overnight Montreal Limited, perhaps running a bit late, and/or in early summer morning light?

Dave

Date: 03/18/24 13:50
Author: train1275

Some timetable and train information from 1968. I imagine the 1969 schedule was similar but as mentioned by 1969 trains were using the new Albany-Rensselaer station, Albany Union having closed in December 1968.

The first dutch door sequence looks like it was shot approaching the Maiden Lane? bridge.

What I can't remember is how the D&H got from the PC  to D&H rails for the run to Mechanicville ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/24 14:10 by train1275.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds