Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Nostalgia & History > Westbound Wednesday - SP SF Bound Commute At Sunnyvale.

Date: 03/27/24 08:58
Westbound Wednesday - SP SF Bound Commute At Sunnyvale.
Author: FiveChime

Gerry Feeny Photo
Regards, Jim Evans

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/24 10:05 by FiveChime.

Date: 03/27/24 09:08
Re: Westbound Wednesday - SP SF Bound Commute At Redwood Jct.
Author: Railbaron

I hate to say this but I am about 99% certain that is not Redwood City / Redwood Junction. My initial thought was that it could be Sunnyvale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/24 09:12 by Railbaron.

Date: 03/27/24 10:03
Re: Westbound Wednesday - SP SF Bound Commute At Sunnyvale.
Author: FiveChime

Thanks, yes, I think you are correct as that is where the photographer lived.
Time takes it's toll.
I'll change it.
Regards, Jim Evans

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/24 10:04 by FiveChime.

Date: 03/27/24 12:48
Author: phthithu

I'm guessing Westinghouse just out of frame to the right. Neat photo. I wonder if he was on an overpass or had climbed up on a water tower or something in whatever industry was on the eastbound side of the tracks there. 

Date: 03/27/24 16:57
Author: SPB

=15.6pxThe photo is a northbound SP commute along Hendy Ave in Sunnyvale approaching Sunnyvale Ave.  It was taken from the Fair Oaks overpass. That is the former Westinghouse plant on the right.  At one time the plant had three tracks going into the property, now none connect to Caltrain's ROW although when the street was repaved a few years ago one track were not removed but left in place in the street.  But its are not connected.  There still is a network of trackage on the plant site and a few old SP flat cars.  The cars seem to move around a couple of times each year, maybe pushed or pulled by a forklift?   The plant is now owned by Northrrop Grumman Marine Systems.  I believe they build systems related to missle launchers off submarines which are shipped by truck.  During WW II, the Hendy Iron Works built over 750 marine steam engines for Liberty ships wnen employment peaked at 11,500 workers - probably lots of rail shipments in those days.  

Gerry

Date: 03/27/24 17:09
Author: phthithu

Date: 03/28/24 06:50
Author: SPboy

Oh what memories after seeing this photo... missed the old days when it was all good!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds