Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Nostalgia & History > Where is it?

Date: 03/27/24 15:15
Where is it?
Author: rbenko

As I continue to organize my slide collection (1984-2002) in preparation for systematically scaning them, I came across these slides.  I remember going to Birmingham, AL for a few days on a business trip in May, 1999, and getting trackside for a bit, but that's about all.  I have some slides from the station area, but these pics were taken somewhere outside the city, seemingly at a junction.  Anyone out there in TO land recognize the spot?  Third shot was taken on the opposite side of the tracks from the first two.

Thanks for any help.

Rob Benkovitz
West Palm Beach, Florida 

Date: 03/27/24 17:13
Re: Where is it?
Author: texchief1

Very nice set, Rob!  Like the second shot best.

texchief1

Date: 03/27/24 18:13
Author: bnsf2001

Parkwood Jct. Alabama , South of Birmingham.

Date: 03/27/24 19:23
Author: rbenko

bnsf2001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Parkwood Jct. Alabama , South of Birmingham.

Ah, thanks for the info!  Looks like it's where a former ACL line paralleled an L&N line (both out of Birmingham) for a bit - the ACL was abandoned north of here and a junction made with the L&N to access the ACL line heading south.  I would assume this was done pre-CSX during the "Family Lines" days?

FYI - both trains heading south - first train is on the L&N and heads onto the ex-ACL line (second shot), second train stays on the L&N. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/24 19:38 by rbenko.

Date: 03/28/24 15:58
Author: bnsf2001

You're welcome. The junction is indeed pre-CSX and Family Lines "cut in " May 1966. The former ACL/SCL line is now the Linevile Sub. Parkwood Jct. is a busy place, especially on the Lineville side.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0707 seconds