Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Nostalgia & History > GP30 Thursday: Argentine on the nose!

Date: 03/28/24 04:43
GP30 Thursday: Argentine on the nose!
Author: santafe199

I’ve got a pretty good idea that when my late friend Jim Watson took this shot it was as a model railroader rather than a railfan photographer. When I first got to know him in the mid-1970s he was always talking about shooting for modeling detail as well as basic roster type stuff. This would explain the odd framing here. Of course, I like it because this is the Santa Fe before the 1969-70 general renumbering...

As a side note: I’ve been systematically weeding out all the early Hewlett-Packard scans throughout my collection, a tedious job to be sure. I haven’t had a chance to re-scan Jim’s stock of 2¼ square Ektachrome transparencies. But I couldn’t quite bring myself to delete this scan! The medium format here sorta counter-balances the poor quality of the original HP scan. Good enough for GP30 Thursday... :^)

1. AT&SF GP30 1209 in a stately pose at the Argentine Diesel Shops in 1966.
Original 2¼ square EK transparency by James W. Watson. (HP scan)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199
Remembering the late Jim Watson, aka ‘UP6900’

Date: 03/28/24 09:34
Re: GP30 Thursday: Argentine on the nose!
Author: texchief1

GP30 looking like it should!

texchief1

Date: 03/29/24 05:03
Author: Evan_Werkema

Closeup of the ATC box, maybe?

Date: 03/29/24 05:24
Author: santafe199

Evan_Werkema Wrote: > ... ATC box, maybe?

Your guess is as good as mine (probably better). There are dozens of slides throughout Jim's collection that were obviously shot for modeling detail...

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds