Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Nostalgia & History > The dang train was early (caption this)!

Date: 04/03/24 15:44
The dang train was early (caption this)!
Author: santafe199

I wuz gonna post just another ‘caption this’ thread! But I came up with a version I liked some much I decided to make it part of the thread title. Not to worry! You can go ahead and serve up a caption. I pretty sure there’ll be a few zingers, because just about everyone old enough to remember film cameras will remember doing this: You’re out there with your subject approaching. You raise your camera for a cli... (oops) THUD! You forgot to wind your camera. It happens to everybody!

It’s pretty evident here that my late friend Dick Humphreys did exactly that. And those who knew Dick would marvel at how fast he did get wound for a shot. If he had just swiveled a bit to the right he might have gotten a decent consist shot. But then I wouldn’t have a “caption this” thread to has some fun with... ;^)

1. AT&SF 340 L leads train #24 (probably) through the crossover plant at Merrick. In 3 miles the hogger will spot this train at the depot at 3rd & Neosho Sts in Emporia, KS for a station stop. It’s August of 1969 and America is still buzzing about the Moon landing...
Copy slide by C H "Dick" Humphreys, my collection.

Thanks for playing!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/24 15:56 by santafe199.

Date: 04/03/24 15:55
Re: The dang train was early (caption this)!

PS: Y'all have permission to use the brand new cuss words you invented when you had to wind your error...

;^)

Date: 04/03/24 16:07
Author: monaddave

Maybe ol' Humpy wanted a B-unit flying roster shot?
Dave in MT

Date: 04/03/24 16:19
Author: jgilmore

"@%*!$$*#, let a guy zip up his pants!"

JG

Date: 04/03/24 17:18
Author: Atlpete

Doh!!! Damn lense cover!!!

Date: 04/03/24 17:21
Author: x6924w

Sorry Lance, I'm all out of cuss words for photos. In 2005 myself and one other member of our FD deployed for Hurricane Katrina. And found ourselves in Tennessee!! Armed with multiple rolls of film I shot pictures of all kinds of stuff, including trains. After the first two rolls when I was changing film something slipped and I poked the area around the shutter. Not hard but. Long story short when I got home I had about 2 1/2 rolls of film and 10-12 rolls of negs with nothing on them. I was pi***d to the umpteenth power. My only time back east, first time in an airliner and---- nothing. No museums, no Norfolk Southern, no streets named "Dead End Lane" by the cemetery. No Ciccadas, no Dollyworld, no Smoky Mountains. Damn!

Date: 04/03/24 17:31

x6924w Wrote: > ... I'm all out of cuss words ...

After hearing that mammoth disaster story I don't doubt your word at all. Gee willikers... I think that's the worst non-winding example I've ever heard of... :^(

Lance

Date: 04/03/24 17:33
Author: agentatascadero

This would be a very heal;thy consist for as late as '69, when 4-5 car consists were typical.  Those four head end cars are puzzling so long after the loss of the mail contracts.
It's probably just the non-photographer me, but I'm OK with the framing job, which does offer a bonus hint of speed.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 04/03/24 18:05
Author: PHall

Being that it was summer, extra baggage cars to handle the luggage of the Boy Scouts headed to and from Philmont?

Date: 04/03/24 18:24

Nahhh........ they needed an extra baggage car to help push the head end past Dick's camera a bit early...

Date: 04/03/24 18:32
Author: agentatascadero

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Being that it was summer, extra baggage cars to
> handle the luggage of the Boy Scouts headed to and
> from Philmont?

Perhaps that would explain the enlarged passenger carrying consist as well.  My only doubt is that all such trips I've heard of were on 17/18.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 04/03/24 19:13
Author: Hou74-76

If this is the summer of 1969, and I have no doubt that it is not, this is train 24, the former Grand Canyon.  According to Loren Joplin's site: http://santafe.gmbus.com/. the consist fits for a summer season.  Who knows what is inside of the baggage cars, hot air, storage mail, back packs or zombies.  Its #24, the Grand Canyon looking fine.

Date: 04/03/24 19:19
Author: kenN

Boy, do I HATE this new crop-sensor digital camera!
Ken Nagel
Grand Rapids MI

Date: 04/03/24 19:20
Author: Frisco1522

Maxwell Smart took his shot and said "Missed it by that much".

Date: 04/03/24 19:45

Frisco1522 Wrote: > ... "Missed it by that much".

(LMAO!!) Good call!!! I picked up the Steve Carell ~ Anne Hathaway, 2008 'Get Smart' movie for a couple of bucks at Goodwill and it hit me squarely in the funny bone! I keep watching it over & over, and I remember all of the antics from the TV series in the 60s. What a classic! I sure wish they had made a sequel, or did they?

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/24 19:47 by santafe199.

Date: 04/03/24 19:45
Author: 90mac

340LAB is a long way from home base in California.
Probably not the whole set as I see the third unit is turned wrong, boilers aways faced center.
And 340L has lost it's M5R24.
TAH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/24 19:49 by 90mac.

Date: 04/03/24 21:49
Author: RNP47

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PS: Y'all have permission to use the brand new
> cuss words you invented when you had to wind your
> error...
>
> ;^)

What was really galling back in the 35mm days was when after loading, the film did not get seated properly on the uptake spindle, and it wasn't til I was taking the 40th shot on a 36 frame roll that I realized I had no photos at all. I always tried to see if the rewind knob turned when advancing the film initially, but did not always remember to do it. Yikes.

Date: 04/03/24 22:20

RNP47 Wrote: > ... it wasn't til I was taking the 40th shot on a 36 frame roll ...

I did that ONE time only, and I was trained for life. I don't remember the action shots I lost, but I did go back and catch a few of the rosters I thought I had taken the first time around. From that time on it was a "conditioned reflex" for me to check the tension with the rewind knob after loading a roll of film...

Lance

Date: 04/04/24 05:52
Author: switchlock

"&SF 340 L leads train #24..."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.067 seconds