Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Nostalgia & History > One more for Boston LSL day - my favorite era

Date: 04/18/24 19:20
One more for Boston LSL day - my favorite era
Author: DavidP

My favorite era for riding (and viewing) trains 448/449 was the few years after it's re-equipping with HEP Heritage Fleet cars in 1979.  The ex-UP coaches were very comfortable, and former PRR parlor car lounges were far more pleasant than the Amfleets which replaced them.  The earth tones of the new interior were a welcome change from early '70s purple and red.  And the F40PH power was a welcome upgrade from the classic but worn out E units.  Here's 449 making it's Framingham station stop in the early eighties.

Dave

Date: 04/18/24 19:31
Re: One more for Boston LSL day - my favorite era
Author: boejoe

Thanks Dave.  I am not familiar with Framingham nor do I know the train numbers you referenced.  If I did, I would know which direction the train is traveling.  So, pardon my ignorance, is the train going toward Boston or toward Springfield?
jb

Date: 04/18/24 20:01
Author: mvrr10

449 is heading westbound at Framingham,Mass. .

Date: 04/18/24 21:30
Author: pennsy3750

Nice!  At 38, I'm too young to remember Amtrak's heritage fleet, but I vaguely remember when the station still looked like that, up until 1998 or '99.

Date: 04/19/24 02:28
Author: JPB

Excellent capture in great late afternoon lightiing! You also got a bit of a Conrail switcher with a transfer caboose moving on track 1 at the Concord St crossing.

Date: 04/19/24 06:02
Author: santafe199

Although I might prefer the SDP40F era, I did most of my best Amtrak shooting during the F40 era. So your image evokes many fond memories! Thanks... :^)

Lance/199

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds