Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Nostalgia & History > Wisconsin Central in the Porkies

Date: 04/19/24 04:38
Wisconsin Central in the Porkies
Author: robj

This is in Upper Penninsula of Michigan.  The White Pine Branch connected Marengo Junction, WI to copper refinery at White Pine Michigan.
Porkies refers to Porcupine Mountain area, state park is north of photo locations which is in a wilderness area.'

----------------------------------WC in the Porkies. Well not in the park but north of Bergland, parked off 64 and walked in a few? miles to catch southbound out of White Pine. On maps you can see a ridge above the rail line which follows Cascade Creek toward Cascade Falls.07/01Trivia - I was with my 14 week old Border Collie Patch off leash and all of sudden he was gone out into the brush. So thick no way to follow. Kept calling and 15 minutes later he comes out of woods soaked. Guess he made it to Cascade Creek. When I picked him up at a farm at 12weeks I had to wait for him to get back as he was out roaming with his sisters, had excellent sense of directions.

Bob Jordan

Date: 04/19/24 04:58
Re: Wisconsin Central in the Porkies
Author: march_hare

Killer shot!  Especially the first one--it emphasizes that this may be the middle of the continent, but it ain't flatlands. 

Does this line still exist?

Date: 04/19/24 05:03
Author: kevink

Wow! Classic WC images and might be the first I’ve seen from this obscure branch.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/19/24 05:09
Author: DLM

The Porkies are a great place to hike and explore old mining and logging operations along with the railroads that served them. Thanks for posting the great photo.

Date: 04/19/24 05:28
Author: robj

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Killer shot!  Especially the first one--it
> emphasizes that this may be the middle of the
> continent, but it ain't flatlands. 
>
> Does this line still exist?

Rail is still in but no use for long time.  Washouts and trees growing in ROW.

Bob

Date: 04/20/24 10:47
Author: MP90

Excellent scene! I'm familiar with that area so it brings back good memories. Michigan's UP is a gold mine for wilderness activities.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds