Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Nostalgia & History > Funky Power on the Lake Shore Ltd

Date: 04/19/24 15:59
Funky Power on the Lake Shore Ltd
Author: march_hare

Keeping this Lake Shore Limiited theme rolling along, lets look at weird stuff that showed up on the train.

1). The New York section heads down the Hudson at Castleton, NY--a few miles south of Rensselaer in 1978. That MTA FL-9 has spent a few days in the AMT shops at Rensselaer for wheel truing work.

2). The eastbound train has a weird trailing unit this day on 1975.  It's a D&H PA-4, returning from rebuild at Morrison Knudsen in Boise ID.  Location is on West Albany Hill, under the Northern Blvd overpass in Albany. 

Both of these locations are now heavily brushed in.  Both photos by the late Jim Odell.

Date: 04/19/24 16:05
Re: Funky Power on the Lake Shore Ltd

And one more weirdo:  A GE Pooch leads the eastbound Late For Sure into Albany, early 1980s.   This was very unusual:  aside from this Jim Odell pic, the only other case I know of with these units leading was on a train I actually rode into town a couple years later.  No pics from that encounter.  As I recall, I was out of film, having spent a really productive day or two in Cleveland before boarding.

Date: 04/19/24 16:42
Author: texchief1

That is some unusual power!  Thanks for sharing.

texchief1

Date: 04/19/24 17:29
Author: DavidP

Cool!  Not to nitpick, but I think the P30CH pic is pre-1979....the LSL was the first LD train to get a full Heritage Fleet HEP makeover that year.  The Heritage cars wore Phase III paint, and the SDP40Fs lacked HEP pass-thru, so this appears to be a steam-heated consist.  P30CHs were fairly common on the LSL in 1976-77.  I made two trips on 49 in August and December.  The first had a P30CH leading, with an SDP40F trailing as in Jim's photo.  My second trip had two P30CHs, with a former E9B steam gen car following.  At the time, there were more P30CHs on the roster than there were HEP trains to haul, so they saw service on both thel steam-heated LSL and Panama Limited.  (The GEs were not welcome on the Shore Line or San Diegan route, with brand new F40PHs assigned instead).  When the SDP40F embargoes hit in 1977, the Pooches were suddenly in demand and could be found in most regions of the country.

Dave

Date: 04/19/24 18:44

Hmmm, you may be right there.  There doesn't appear to be a turbo shop building in the background, and there should be for anything after that shop was built.

SO, to the crowd:  When was this pic taken?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0329 seconds