Home Open Account Help 104 users online

Nostalgia & History > Baltimore Transit Co. PCC memories

Date: 04/25/24 11:51
Baltimore Transit Co. PCC memories
Author: ClubCar

The Baltimore Transit Company (BTC) was one of the first companies to purchase PCC Streetcars to modernize their operations.  The first PCC cars were built by the St. Louis Car Company and Baltimore ordered 27 cars in 1936.  They were numbered 7001 through 7027 when they first arrived and most of them operated up until 1955 as since the National City Lines Bus Company had purchased the BTC, they deliberately converted streetcar lines to bus operations beginning in 1947 until the last two lines were converted in 1963.  However, the St. Louis Co. built cars that were on the roster of the BTC were finally taken out of service in 1955 when the #32 car line went to bus operations.  Unfortunately, none of the BTC St. Louis Built Cars were saved.  However, the Baltimore Streetcar Museum is in the process of rebuilding a St. Louis Co. streetcar that will be identical to the original St. Louis Car Company cars that used to operate in Baltimore.  Photo l and photo 2 both show 2 of the original St. Louis Car Company PCC's when they were first running in Baltimore, and the third photo shows the St. Louis Car being rebuilt at the museum.  Original photos by the late Roland Nutrell now in my collection.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 04/25/24 12:19
Re: Baltimore Transit Co. PCC memories
Author: refarkas

7303 is a true beauty.
Bob

Date: 04/25/24 14:15
Author: Ritzville

Always enjoy your Baltimore PCC pictures John. PCC 7303 is certainly looking spiffy!

Larry

Date: 04/25/24 15:08
Author: BrynMawr

What Larry said.  One of these days I will have to search for my pix from a 1962 or 3 day spent riding the last lines.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0289 seconds