Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Nostalgia & History > a study in ROCK!

Date: 04/25/24 22:57
a study in ROCK!
Author: santafe199

When’s the last time you saw a boxcar that made you want to do a photo-study? As I recall, for this oddball shot I was on my way to playing in a regular church-league softball game down in Griffith Park. I bent my path so as to take a quick look at the RR scene downtown. Going only 4 blocks out of my way I found this boxcar posing under those big fluffy clouds. Click: There goes another 25¢ investment (estimated price ala 1977) in a Kodachrome slide...

Griffith was a great place for railfan/3rd basemen of the world! The park was situated between the Rock Island track on the north and the UP track on the south. Typically, during a game at least one of those RRs would send me a train. And I’m here to tell ya, I never made any errors at the hot corner while a train was rolling by. (But I sure came close a couple of times... ;^) Of course, the UP is still there on the south. But Ft Riley Blvd now occupies the path that the long-gone Rock Island used to take through town.

1. ‘ROCK’ boxcar 57856 from an angle not easy to model. June of 1977 in Manhattan, KS.

Thanks for looking up & all around!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Disclaimer: For those of you old enough to remember: No, this study ‘in ROCK” is not about any early Deep Purple albums... :^)
DJ Sir L

Date: 04/25/24 23:03
Re: a study in ROCK!
Author: MacBeau

Nice one.
—Mac

Date: 04/26/24 07:13
Re: a study in ROCK!
Author: Gonut1

Perfect shot for rivet counting modelers!
Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds