Home Open Account Help 170 users online

Nostalgia & History > F-unit Friday: Rio Grande @ Price

Date: 04/26/24 04:56
F-unit Friday: Rio Grande @ Price
Author: santafe199

After a bit of an absence, Mr Emil Albrecht returns to the TO scene with this nice look at the Rio Grande. Price, Utah. 1969. Enjoy...

1. D&RGW 5731 in command of a freight manifest near Price, UT on August 23, 1969.
Original Kodachrome slide by Emil Albrecht, from the late James W. Watson collection.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199
Remembering the late Emil Albrecht

Date: 04/26/24 06:00
Re: F-unit Friday: Rio Grande @ Price
Author: SPDRGWfan

Great photo but I wonder about the date.  I've reviewed a lot of photo's and thought there were no F units left in 4-stripe paint by this late date?

Date: 04/26/24 06:18

SPDRGWfan Wrote: > ... I wonder about the date ...

You're probably right. But I can only go with what's on the slide. I try pretty hard to get the scanned info straight. In the "mass production" process I'm forced to use, transposing a wrong item will happen from time to time. And on rare occasions I've discovered that an information item on a given slide will be an impossibility. It happens to all of us...

Lance

Date: 04/26/24 07:32
Author: valmont

Maybe some help with dates ... check the last F uniit (rear facing) ... it's hard to see but it had stripes
I posted this photo on this Board on 4/1/24   I took the photo on 3/1/69

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/24 07:53 by valmont.

Date: 04/26/24 08:20

valmont Wrote: > ... I took the photo on 3/1/69 ...

So Emil's date could be correct. Nothing surprises me because there always seems to be an exception to every rule. One thing (of many) I learned during my RR career. If there's one thing etched in stone it's this: "There is absolutely NOTHING etched in stone in the RR industry!!!" ' ;^)

Lance

Date: 04/26/24 09:59
Author: jgilmore

Covered wagons, TOFC and fast freight, what's not to like...

JG

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds