Home Open Account Help 191 users online

Nostalgia & History > Watch your step, a caboose named Sue (Rock Is)

Date: 04/26/24 11:02
Watch your step, a caboose named Sue (Rock Is)
Author: EL833

Rock Island caboose #17728 at Blue Island, Ill, 04-13-1980. Other view of the same cab seen in a Larry Auglund photo in May, 1978, posted last August by Marty. Still has the mismatched trucks under her. The Rock had just recently (03-31-1980) shut down, but they were still in the process of moving/storing equipment a couple weeks later. Not likely this car lasted very long after the shutdown.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 04/26/24 12:49
Re: Watch your step, a caboose named Sue (Rock Is)
Author: refarkas

A true Rock Island treasure.
Bob

Date: 04/26/24 13:50
Author: LarryDoyle

Even with a well stoked stove in there, these single sheathed wooden cars must have been cold in the wintertime.

-LD

Date: 04/26/24 20:33
Author: WM_1109

1980? Who'da thunk it?
Thanks for sharing this one, Roger.
I'm just glad I didn't get the job to stencil 'ROCK ISLAND" on the side of that one. Although I don't think I could've done any worse.
/Ted

Date: 04/26/24 20:44
Author: GN599

Their caboose fleet was like their locomotive fleet. Diverse!

Date: 04/29/24 12:11
Author: rrman6

Someone, please tell us more of why the "S U E q" marking!!!  
I recall as a youth living near Pratt, KS on the Golden State Route in the early 50's and having seen many of these old RI "woodies" dressed in "boxcar red" with the black RI logo and numbering.  Yes, extremely cold they were, but they got the job done along with their steel counterparts.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.028 seconds