Home Open Account Help 174 users online

Nostalgia & History > St. Louis and Alton Saturday

Date: 04/27/24 08:52
St. Louis and Alton Saturday
Author: RetiredHogger

This isn't much of a picture (I've never been much of a photographer), but I'll post it anyway.

Taken in the late spring or summer of 1981, the shot looks back from the engineer's seat of Illinois Terminal SD39 2302, leading the "McKinley Yard and Road" into Federal Yard's St. Louis and Alton track.

Federal was the IT's facility in Alton, IL...and home to the railroad's heavy diesel shop. The SW1200 at the rear of the consist was likely deadheading into town to be set out at the engine house.

Also seen are the Alton Box Board facility on the left (note the cars spotted there for loading), and one of the IT's concrete phone booths, known as "pagodas".

The Box Board (once requiring a dedicated job seven days a week)....the diesel shop....the pagoda....are all gone. Unless the 1200 survives, the power is probably gone as well. Federal is still in use. The Illinois Terminal itself won't die before the last one of us that worked there does. And those of us left are starting to get a little long in the tooth. 

Date: 04/27/24 09:04
Re: St. Louis and Alton Saturday
Author: valmont

That's a fine combination of a photo and the history of what it shows  ... thanks for the memories!

Date: 04/27/24 09:36
Author: ts1457

Thanks for sharing.

I am trying to recall the date of the N&W takeover. Wasn't it later in that year, or did ITC last until early 1982?

I remember seeing the former ITC GP38-2 No. 2002 renumbered as N&W 4161 in Robert Claytor scheme (Norfolk & Western spelled out on the carbody) during September 1982 in South Lorain OH.

Date: 04/27/24 15:20
Author: RetiredHogger

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> I am trying to recall the date of the N&W
> takeover. Wasn't it later in that year, or did ITC
> last until early 1982?
>
> I remember seeing the former ITC GP38-2 No. 2002
> renumbered as N&W 4161 in Robert Claytor scheme
> (Norfolk & Western spelled out on the carbody)
> during September 1982 in South Lorain OH.

I don't recall the date that the acquisition was approved. The effective date of the takeover was May 8, 1982.

PS: "thanks" to you and valmont both for the responses.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0459 seconds