Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Nostalgia & History > Derailed Santa Fe CF7 in San Pedro, CA '81

Date: 04/27/24 10:19
Derailed Santa Fe CF7 in San Pedro, CA '81
Author: GreenFlag

Santa Fe CF7 2609 is sitting "on-the-ground" along with a tank car at San Pedro in the Port of LA on 12-20-81. It was on a Harbor Belt Line afternoon job switching GATX tracks "5 & 6" the day before when it split a switch while backing up. I think every car that was spotted at the GATX tank farm was hazardous. The tank cars in the background in San Pedro yard are loads being held there until they're requested to be spotted. The track that is the 'darkest' in the yard due to the most use, I think was track 5 which was sort of the main track that was used by export coal trains to get to Berth 49. 
The third photo taken in May 1981 shows tracks 5 and 6, each held around 15 cars or so. The lead that went further down to the other four tracks of GATX and the end of track at Warehouse One is on the left. I don't think any of GATX is still in service at this time.
The HBL used power from all three of the RRs in So Cal, especially SP and Santa Fe. The engineers and trainmen were 25% SP, 50% PE ( prior rights ) and 25% UP, no Santa Fe though.

Date: 04/28/24 14:52
Re: Derailed Santa Fe CF7 in San Pedro, CA '81
Author: PasadenaSub

Interesting group of photos.
The tangent in the distance with the tank cars looks to be around the spot that Santa Fe 3751 was on display (in 2007-2008?), just below the San Pedro post office.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds