Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Nostalgia & History > What happened to this Amtrak/PRR Twin-unit diner?

Date: 04/27/24 11:16
What happened to this Amtrak/PRR Twin-unit diner?
Author: bandob

In June, 1994, this twin-unit diner was seen in Union Bridge, MD, on the Maryland Midland. It looks like it was formerly PRR. Does anyone know where it was going and what has happened to it?

B&O Bill

Date: 04/27/24 11:25
Re: What happened to this Amtrak/PRR Twin-unit diner?
Author: boejoe

Could it be on the Aberdeen Carolina & Western in Candor or Pinehurst NC?
jb

Date: 04/27/24 11:42
Author: Topfuel

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could it be on the Aberdeen Carolina & Western in
> Candor or Pinehurst NC?
> jb

No, that twin-unit has fluting, not flatting.  It was built for the Congressional or Senator - can't remember which one - by Budd in 1952.

I'm pretty sure the one in the photo sort of still exists with the group in Cleveland, OH, that is restoring the ex-Reading T-1 2100.  As usual, some genius tore out most of the crew dormitory in the kitchen-dorm half.  And both cars have stripped underbody equipment.  Not sure if that group has any plans to return their twin-unit to service.  Sadly, I do not believe any of the PRR Budd 1949 twin-unit diner sets have survived intact.  As a matter of fact, I'm not sure that ANY of the post-war twin unit diners have survived intact.

Date: 04/27/24 13:47
Author: wpdude

Would that not have caused distress for the waiters, navigating the vestibule, between the 2 cars?

Date: 04/27/24 13:59
Author: Topfuel

wpdude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would that not have caused distress for the
> waiters, navigating the vestibule, between the 2
> cars?

Most twin-unit diners had a wider than normal opening between the dining room and the kitchen, so this was not much of an issue.  Also, some twin-units had automatic sliding pocket doors with some sort of electric eye that would open the doors when the waiter was carrying trays of food.

Date: 04/28/24 06:22
Author: aehouse

It was used for a time on the Maryland Midland excursion operation, which operated out of Union Bridge. After that, I don't know what the disposition was.

Art House

Date: 04/28/24 14:38
Author: MEKoch

Spent many an hour serving passengers on the Broadway Ltd. in the period 1974-77.  Full 17-18 car trains with six waiters, four cooks and 400 people.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds