Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Nostalgia & History > Ticonderoga Tuesday - D&H plus Amtrak Turbo

Date: 04/30/24 13:08
Ticonderoga Tuesday - D&H plus Amtrak Turbo
Author: feclark

This group of four photos is from May 4, 1979. While on holiday in Vermont and upstate New York, we ended up at Ticonderoga for lunch. We heard a series of horn blasts, but were a bit surprised the train was still around when we left. From a crew member I learned this was the power off SC-2 (I have a note the C was for Champlain; would S have been Selkirk? That's PC by then). If anyone has more information about this train symbol and operation, I'd be grateful. Thanks.
1. In this photo, the light power comprising GP39-2 7616 and 7614 is drifting back down to the main, presumable having set out in town. Google Satellite doesn't show this spur anymore, but other features tell me this is on the west side of Highway 22, the Empire State Trail.
2. Back on the train, it looks like someone is at the 'platform' or whistle stop for Amtrak. The set out track with MoW equipment is very distinctive, setting this photo just north of the Fort View Inn. Pardon my underexposure. I don't have a time recorded, for some reason. I was wearing a watch at the time, I'm pretty confident.
3. Some time later, at 1300, Amtrak Turbo train #68 (also running as D&H 34) appeared. I didn't catch the power car numbers at either end.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/24 18:43 by feclark.

Date: 04/30/24 13:09
Re: Ticonderoga Tuesday - D&H plus Amtrak
Author: feclark

4. The going-away shot seemed to work, because of the double-ended nature of the train, and various photo elements.
Fred

Date: 04/30/24 13:34
Author: stevelv

I would guess the S stood for Saratoga.  Very cool that you got the turbos on the Adirondack.

Date: 04/30/24 14:59
Author: njmidland

Those photos of the turbo remind me of standing on the "platform" (really just a patch of asphalt) at Port Kent, alone, hoping the southbound Adirondack was going to stop for me.  It did.

Date: 04/30/24 15:13
Author: refarkas

I like the going-away shot best.
Bob

Date: 05/01/24 05:16
Author: agent1522

The numbers aren't visible, but the train is one of the Rohr built Turboliners.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds