Home Open Account Help 173 users online

Nostalgia & History > Near "Cornfield Meet" on Lehigh Valley RR - 1966

Date: 05/09/24 11:25
Near "Cornfield Meet" on Lehigh Valley RR - 1966
Author: cinder

OK....OK...No, it wasn't actually in or near a cornfield...and yes, it was trespassing. But here's my story...and I'm sticking to it!

It was a Sunday afternoon in August 1966. The place ..... somewhere on the Lehigh Valley Railroad between New Woodstock and Cazenovia, NY.  My wife and I are out for a leisurely Sunday ride...on our homemade "railbike".  Suddenly, there is the sound of a motor and "steel on steel".  Around the bend comes a "speeder" loaded with three children (look closely and see them in the speeder cab) and three adults. We meet; we greet; we "take the siding" (we untrack our railbike) and then off we go.

"Riding the rails" 58 years ago was very different than it is now.  Oh yes... the thrice-weekly local freight NEVER ran on Sundays.

1.  Trespassing families "meet and confer"
2.  "Snyders Folly" Railbike close-up - Built and stored at "Married Student Housing" Syracuse University
3.  The thrice-weekly LV freight working a feed plant in New Woodstock, NY. (1966)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/24 11:27 by cinder.

Date: 05/09/24 11:35
Re: Near "Cornfield Meet" on Lehigh Valley RR - 1966
Author: train1275

Totally cool photos, especially of the local switching at New Woodstock.

This is what it looked like the last time I was around that neck of the woods on March 26, 2010.

Date: 05/09/24 12:36
Author: webmaster

Great story and photos. These sorts of events still happen in places like Maine where the state buys up old unused rail lines and motorcars, human powered machines have to watch out and one of them gets out of way.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 05/09/24 13:38
Author: WM_1109

Syracuse?  That thing looks more like something engineered at WVU.
/Ted

PS:  That's okay, Roger. You stick to your story.

Date: 05/09/24 14:04
Author: refarkas

Great back story - First-rate photos.
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1015 seconds