Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Nostalgia & History > Toss Back Tuesday: Slanting Warbonnet!

Date: 06/11/24 05:50
Toss Back Tuesday: Slanting Warbonnet!
Author: santafe199

There’s just no getting around it! Mr Leland Knickerbocker designed what is arguably the single most famous passenger paint scheme in the World! It’s easy to see why so many ‘average’ good-looking engine models became great looking engine models with a splash of Red & Silver. And we never get tired of looking at them... :^)

1. AT&SF 13 leads train #12, the “Chicagoan” over 1st St and into Newton, KS in May of 1962. While I’m at it, I’d like to thank Uncle Irv (Athearn) for the 40’ boxcar in the right hand background...
Copy slide from the Tony Fey collection, photographer is unknown.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199
Remembering the late Tony Fey, aka ‘mopacrr’

Date: 06/11/24 05:56
Re: Toss Back Tuesday: Slanting Warbonnet!
Author: 3rdswitch

That is awesome in so many ways. Very long train, three different models of locomotive pulling, very rare seeing F's and E's mixed on Santa Fe, or even different E models for that matter, perfect light. A great share.
JB

Date: 06/11/24 06:54
Author: Hou74-76

I am smiling as wide and high as that cigar band SANTA FE logo on the nose of that warbonnet.  Thanks for churning out my doses of ATSF goodies.

I would have loved to have visited the paint shop and seen how they masked and painted those locomotives back then.  How did they keep the logo and lines so sharp?  We know in the late 60s that attention to sharp detail lessened as the silver over spray increased.  But yeah, the warbonnet paint scheme was sheer genius at work.

Date: 06/11/24 09:07
Author: refarkas

A gem of a Santa Fe photo!
Bob

Date: 06/11/24 11:00
Author: Ritzville

A Santa Fe Cat's Meow shot!!

Larry

Date: 06/11/24 11:23
Author: cabman

The late Tony Fey must have been a terrific railfan if the shots Lance has been sharing are any indication.  Thanks very much and keep 'em coming!      

Date: 06/11/24 11:32
Author: santafe199

cabman Wrote: > ... Tony Fey must have been a terrific railfan if the shots Lance has been sharing are any indication ...

Tony could get out in the trenches and shoot with the best of 'em! But he also had a terrific knack for acquiring great stuff from mail-order and regular duplication sources. I'm just about through his Santa Fe stuff. "Waiting patiently" are the rest of his UP, Rock Island & Mopac slides...   Lance

Date: 06/11/24 17:02
Author: GN599

First class railroading in action.

Date: 06/12/24 06:06
Author: trainman

If you're a modeler of the Santa fe , there's your proof that they DID operate a lowly F7 with elegant E's !

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.083 seconds