Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Nostalgia & History > Dunsmuir depot

Date: 06/18/03 20:37
Dunsmuir depot
Author: photobob

Heres a view I took of the Depot at Dunsmuir back in 1960. At that time the pedestrian bridge was still standing which was a great place to watch the action. The SP tore the depot down in 1974 which was one of the all time crimes commited in Dunsmuir.

Date: 06/19/03 08:08
Re: Dunsmuir depot
Author: dutchman

Would you post a picture of the "new" Dunsmuir depot??
Thanks,
Dutchman

Date: 06/19/03 10:34
New Dunsmuir depot
Author: photobob

The NEW Dunsmuir depot is actually the OLD concrete structure that can be seen in the photo of the original depot. The photo below was taken a few years back but thats the way it looks now. They painted the trim and put up new signs but thats about it. I havent even been down to see the interior that was cleaned up and heat has been added to keep the Amtrak Guests warm as they wait for their hours late Starlight.

Date: 04/28/08 12:27
Re: New Dunsmuir depot
Author: bwhansen

A few years back I went to the Railfair in Dunsmuir. The plan was to get up there up early in the AM (out of San Jose from the previous nights northbound), stay the day at the fair and then take the southbound Starlate home. Ha! After arriving and spending the day a tunnel fire up north stopped everything going north or coming south. A train was to be sent up from Sacramento to resume the southbound leg. Long story short I spent the night curled up in a chair in the baggage room courtesy of the night staff. The train got there early the next AM and I got home a day late. No real waiting room and certainly no accommodations for delayed passengers. Live and learn. Next time I drove and spent the night.

Bruce

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds