Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > Erie-Lackawanna Hostler

Date: 07/20/03 18:31
Erie-Lackawanna Hostler
Author: nikonman

Here\'s a shot at E-L\'s Croxton yard in March of 1973.
This hostler was about the greatest E-L employee. He gave me free reign at Croxton\'s engine facility every time I went and he was on duty. I used to hope he would be there!. He even came to know me by my name, which was very cool.
Anyway, any ex-E-L folks here maybe know this gentleman\'s name? 30 years is a long time.

BTW, nice E-L road power, huh? :^)

Andy

Date: 07/20/03 18:56
Re: Erie-Lackawanna Hostler
Author: trackone

A little bit on the trashy side. LOL
tom

Date: 07/20/03 19:31
Author: opus

Nice Pants!

...and a great photo

Opus

Date: 07/21/03 00:15
Author: dt8089

Cool shot! Could you see the look on a EPA inspector when he seen this place. :-) Dan

Date: 07/21/03 00:56
Author: cnwjag

Now thats what an engine terminal is supposed to look like!

--jag

Date: 07/21/03 02:16
Author: gp74444

man look at those pants!!! thank god the 70\'s are over.........

Date: 07/21/03 09:10
Author: nikonman

What\'s wrong with those pants? I still have a few pairs.:^)

cnwjag, I\'m with you. The rougher, the better.

Andy (stuck in the \'70\'s)

Date: 07/21/03 09:31
Author: RayH

One of the better guys there around that time frame was Gordie Smith, but this doesn\'t look too much like him. (I think he was taller, but the hat covers too much of this guy\'s face).

Croxton had a BUNCH of good guys working there. I had a number of rides there, and had the opportunity to move some power myself (with supervision).

The surrounding "Superfund" area also brings back memories of my oily shoes getting back into the car!

How refreshing, builders plates still attached!

Date: 07/21/03 21:33
Went to British Columbia Railway
Author: lynnpowell

E-L C425 #2453 was one of a dozen units sold to British Columbia Ry., where it became #803. It was later sold to Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern RR as their #803, later renumbered to #2453. I wonder if the SD45-2 and the SDP45 are still around?

Date: 07/22/03 22:45
Author: beans

opus wrote:

> Nice Pants!
>
>
I agree

beans

and nice engines too

Date: 07/23/03 23:45
Author: steamjocky

I\'ve tried to be patient about this, but does anybody know who this guy is and what happened to him? It\'s the people that make the railroad not just engines and boxcars. I have pics of guys I worked with back in the 70s and I know who each and everyone of them are. Who the heck is this guy anyway? I\'d like to know.

steamjocky

Date: 07/24/03 07:00
Re: Went to British Columbia Railway
Author: NYSWSD70M

The SD45-2 is still around. Spends it\'s time in New Jersey for the most part as well. These days it runs around as NS 1704.

Cannot see the road number on the SDP45. If it is from first (the 1969) order, it\'s chances are 19 to 1. Only 3639 remains in Roanoke. If it is from the second (1970) order, it\'s chances are about 50/50.

NYSWSD70M

Date: 07/26/03 10:09
Re: SD45-2 Q
Author: mcdeo

Just curious, where are the air tanks on those extended fuel tank SD45-2\'s?

I\'ve always wondered.

Date: 07/27/03 01:15
Author: rcbsd45

The air tanks and piping are in the extreme rear of the carbody, behind the compressor where the louvers are located. if you opened the carbody doors, you would see what looks like a maze of piping. Hope this helps.

Date: 07/27/03 13:35
Author: mcdeo

Makes sense, thanks for the info.

My next thought is, "I wonder why EMD didn\'t move the tanks there for other units?" Might have been maintenance? Or maybe RR\'s didn\'t feel the need for extra fuel capacity. Hmmm...

Date: 07/28/03 06:03
Re: Went to British Columbia Railway
Author: adcxtrainman

Always great to see a \'before\' pic of an engine I know today... the 2453 is in great shape, with lots of life left in her, in regular service on the MA&N, in upstate NY (Utica).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds