Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Nostalgia & History > Yosemite Valley RR

Date: 11/29/03 20:50
Yosemite Valley RR
Author: stash

While driving along Hwy 140 from El Portal to Mariposa I noticed a ledge on the north side of the Merced River. Would that have any connection to the railroad that once ran between Merced and El Portal?

Date: 11/29/03 21:03
Re: Yosemite Valley RR
Author: photobob

The connection being thats where the tracks were.

Date: 11/30/03 13:09
Author: dggill

The right of way is intact for most of the length of the YVRR, although there are some good sized trees in the middle of the ROW.
Yes, there has been talk from time to time of relaying track and running tourist trains from at Merced or Mariposa to El Portal. However, that would probably be cost-prohibitive and would no doubt have significant environmental impact concerns. This has never moved beyond the talking stage and I am not aware of any realistic plans to actually carry plans beyond talk.

Date: 12/01/03 10:17
Author: rdsexton

Take a look at this site. A superb model of that road, and more.

http://www.yosemitevalleyrr.com/

Date: 12/01/03 14:07
Author: wabash2800

Oh, it could be done, it could be done. Look at the Maine two footers...
And, oh yes build a few reproduction depots too.

Are there any steam locos and rolling stock left from this road?

Date: 12/01/03 14:22
Author: Nitehostler

The one remaining steam locomotive, former 2-6-0 number 29, is somewhere in the Yucatan. I saw it & a standard gauge 4-4-0 in '82 stored outdoors on the wye in Merida. She has since been put on display & I'm not certain where. One nice thing about her, she has 57" drivers.

Date: 12/02/03 08:59
Author: spcrr1878-1887

How would a rebuild ever get around Lake McClure? When the dam was raised and the new outflow & spillway were built in the late 60's the Barrett Bridge was removed and the ROW went back under water. One question, however: are the piers from the Barrett Bridge still intact under the water?

Mike

Date: 12/03/03 23:11
Author: Ed_Gyptian

The ex-SP Hariman Baggage that went from the YV to the V&T is at a RR museum in the bay area.

The Lake is a bit of a problem but r-o-w on both sides is in relatively good shape which would ease a lot of the environmental problems in the El Portal end. There's no doubt that a lot of folks on the enviro side want to cut the number of cars into Yosemite Park and this would be a good way.

Date: 12/03/03 23:13
Author: Ed_Gyptian

It's been a couple of years but you could also see some of the inclines from the highway too. My Dad said the water tanks were still at Bagby when he went through there in the early 60's.

Date: 12/05/03 19:50
YV RR RPO Car
Author: Westbound

The Yosemite Valley RPO car #107 is in excellent restored condition, now at the Niles Canyon Ry., Sunol, CA.

Back in 1965 I explored the remains of the YV and was able to locate the old turntable pit and concrete liner in what's now a cow pasture at Merced Falls. With all the years gone by, there's not much left to find unless you are something of an archaeologist.

Date: 12/06/03 09:58
Author: TCnR

Walked into Bagby a few times during the late 70's. The water tanks are definitly gone, there were some identifiable foundations though. The site is next to the highway 49 bridge but is often under water. Walked down grade to where the bridge across the river had been, once again a few foundations. Made plans to look for the Barret bridge but never made it. At that time the lake level would get extremely low and much of the RoW could be hiked, watch out for snakes in the summer time though.

Date: 12/06/03 14:26
Author: delrio

In the early 70's during a drout I was fishing with a friend in McClure. Not only are the pires there but the western bridge section is there having been dropped from the eastern pier and left. During that trip I also noticed a second right of way below the Barrett right of way. This of course was the original line prior to the first dam being built. I took the liberty to climb up to that right of way and help myself to severl spikes and even a tie before being run off by the sheriff boat patrol saying it was a historical landmark and I could not disturbe it. I had a problem with his logic as this area has not been out of water before of since (that I'm aware of)and continues to deteriate into oblivion. After a rather tense discussion he allowed me to take what I had. I might add there were many a lure snagged on the old steel thru truss structure. The water was so low we were right against the old dam looking up at least 40+'.

Jerry

Date: 12/06/03 14:27
Author: delrio

In the early 70's during a drout I was fishing with a friend in McClure. Not only are the pires there but the western bridge section is there having been dropped from the eastern pier and left. During that trip I also noticed a second right of way below the Barrett right of way. This of course was the original line prior to the first dam being built. I took the liberty to climb up to that right of way and help myself to severl spikes and even a tie before being run off by the sheriff boat patrol saying it was a historical landmark and I could not disturbe it. I had a problem with his logic as this area has not been out of water before of since (that I'm aware of)and continues to deteriate into oblivion. After a rather tense discussion he allowed me to take what I had. I might add there were many a lure snagged on the old steel thru truss structure. The water was so low we were right against the old dam looking up at least 40+'.

Jerry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0636 seconds