Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Nostalgia & History > CN&W Los Angeles Limited

Date: 12/19/03 15:46
CN&W Los Angeles Limited
Author: DanV

Does any one recall whom did Chicago & North Western had off the Los Angeles Limited trains 1 & 2. ?

I remember seeing that train heading out of Chicago on their West line. It was a low level consist, and it darted through Chicago's Western Suburbs.

I don't think CN&W was handing off to Union Pacific because
The Milwaukee Road was handing off the City of Los Angeles to the Union Pacific.

Date: 12/19/03 16:10
Re: CN&W Los Angeles Limited
Author: BobB

To answer that question I'd need to know the year you're talking about. The C&NW ran the UP trains to Omaha before the Milwaukee did so, and the Los Angeles Limited is a UP name. The change occurred in the mid-50s (I forget which year), and it may be that by that time the UP was no longer using the Los Angeles Limited name. Could you possibly have seen the Los Angeles Limited on the C&NW before you saw the City of Los Angeles on the Milwaukee? (Or, possibly, you saw a detour?) I don't know of any time post-WWII when the UP took trains at Omaha from Chicago from more than one railroad at a time. After the switch to the Milwaukee the C&NW didn't run any trains for beyond Omaha.

Date: 12/19/03 17:16
Author: bnsfbob

UP switched from C&NW to MILW Omaha to Chicago in 1955. I think that the train referred to as the "Los Angeles Limited" is actually C&NW trains 1&2, the "Kate Shelley 400". Train 1 left Chicago around 4:30 PM and would have been the only low-level train in the midst of the Bi-level commuter rush. Bob

Date: 12/20/03 11:22

The years I refer to is 1965 - 1969

Date: 12/20/03 14:28
Author: timz

Did C&NW hand passenger trains to anybody by then?

When you say Los Angeles Limited trains 1-2 we assume you mean the train that was dropped by the UP in 1954-55, before the UP switched their trains to CMStP&P?

Date: 12/20/03 19:14

I had a couple of friends working at the Proviso yards back then, and they had told me it was a limited to L.A.

I took it to mean that it was the Los Angeles Limited. As there was such a train I think back in the golden age of RR

Date: 12/20/03 20:21
Author: MyfordBrowning

By 1965, the C&NW did not run passengers west of Clinton Ia. on the mainline to Omaha. Trains 1 and 2 were daily except Sunday & holidays with nos.11 & 12 operating on Sunday and holidays. At one time these trains were called the Kate Schelley 400.
The agreement with the UP ended in 1955 and I don't think that the C&NW continued to operate cars beyond Omaha on other railroads.

Date: 12/21/03 12:16
Author: JAChooChoo

The Los Angeles Limited was an Overland Route (UPRR) train.
In my 1951 Official Guide, it was the secondary train between Chicago and Los Angeles with a 48-1/2 hour timing. (The City of Los Angeles had a 40 hour run)
However, it did still carry numbers 1 & 2
Its consist was:

2 coaches
Coach-lounge
Diner
2 14 Section sleepers
1 12Roomette-4Double Bedroom Sleeper
1 2 Drawing Room-4Compartment-4 Double BR Sleeper
1 10 Roomette - 6 DBR Sleeper (to/from New York City via PRR)
1 10 Roomette - 6 DBR Sleeper (to/from New York City via NYC)
1 6 Section - 6 Roomette - 4 DBR Sleeper (to/from Twin Cities via Omaha)
1 Club-Lounge w/Bath (First Class Only)

The train was gone in my 1959 Guide.
=========================================================
PS: In 1951, the Chicago - Clinton train was unnamed, all-stops locals 25 & 26

Date: 12/26/03 21:25
Author: AlexanderCasset

Hi all,
the 10-6 that the UP handed off to the PRR in 51, can anyone tell me what train that was transferred to, and or what type of car that was, ie series, fluting, manufacturer, and color scheme, if such were constants? Thanks, Greg

Date: 12/27/03 21:38
Author: JAChooChoo

AlexanderCasset Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all,
> the 10-6 that the UP handed off to the PRR in
> 51, can anyone tell me what train that was
> transferred to, and or what type of car that was,
> ie series, fluting, manufacturer, and color
> scheme, if such were constants? Thanks, Greg

Westbound #49 The General, eastbound #2 The Pennsylvania Limited.
Could have been a PRR or UP car - or both since it was a daily operation

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds