Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Nostalgia & History > Farewell C&S Rice Yard, Hello Eltich Gardens

Date: 03/14/04 13:13
Farewell C&S Rice Yard, Hello Eltich Gardens
Author: cozephyr

Colorado & Southern Railway operated Rice Yard in Denver, CO, where Santa Fe power was once serviced. March 16, 1995 found Rice Yard a memory. The Six Flags Elitch Gardens amusement park was under construction where the yard once operated. In the distance was Mile High Stadium the old Broncos football stadium. About to duck under Speer Blvd was ATSF 8-40CW 889, 813 and 9-44CW 647 with the train from Pueblo going to BN's 31st Street Yard. Times change and so has the Denver scene.

Date: 03/18/04 16:42
Re: Farewell C&S Rice Yard, Hello Eltich Gardens
Author: CimaScrambler

A few years before that, around 1987, there was still the old roundhouse standing in the corner out by the South Platte River. I hiked across the old yard site to get this photo. The ground was a thick gumbo mud, and I gained about a half-inch in height with each step as more of the mud stuck to the bottoms of my boots. After a bit, it was like walking on stilts! Then the mud would break off, and I would be short on one leg and long on the other until I kicked the mud free, only to start over. It took a long time to get out to the roundhouse and back.

There is another photo on my web site at
http://www.trainweb.org/lunarlight/Archives/pages/271-09(C&S2).htm

Enjoy!

- Kit -

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds