Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Nostalgia & History > 31 May 1994, El Segundo Switcher at Delta

Date: 04/07/04 12:48
31 May 1994, El Segundo Switcher at Delta
Author: CimaScrambler

I was looking at some of the aerial photos on Terraserver, and found one that shows the El Segundo Switcher working the industries at Delta on the SP El Segundo Branch. The photo date is given as 31 May 1994. You can see the power with a couple of cars just west of the switch into the plastics plant, while the rest of the train is on the main just east of the same switch.

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=1889&y=18770&z=11&w=2

This is the same location as shown in the photos on a thread posted on the Western Board back on Feb 22 2004. From the topo map at the same site, this place is called Delta.

<http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,690409,690409#690409&gt;

Some things just keep on going, even if they change the paint schemes.

- Kit

Date: 04/07/04 15:03
Re: 31 May 1994, El Segundo Switcher at Delta
Author: espeeboy

Good eyes! I too have taken the insane amount of time to go throught the Terraimage satellite images and have spotted all of the locals and yard jobs working in Oakland at the time the 1994 images were taken. Guess we have a lot of time on our hands Kit!

Date: 04/07/04 20:19
Author: TCnR

Too much time, too much bandwidth.

Date: 04/07/04 23:22
Author: CimaScrambler

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too much time, too much bandwidth.

Well, to tell the truth, I was looking for camera locations for a couple shots I haven't gotten yet. The topo maps and aerial photos on the terraserver and topozone sites can really help you do your homework, and thus save time in the end.

But who's splitting hairs? It all a hobby anyway. Definition of hobby: a more effective way to waste time!

- Kit

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds