Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Nostalgia & History > ...

Date: 04/10/04 20:05
Author: tomk

Date: 04/10/04 20:41
Re: A popular exhibit and a history lesson...
Author: xtra1188w

The railroading of that era was so much more interesting in my opinion than the railroading of today. This is due in large part to the many more people needed factor. I could go on and on here, but this has been pointed out before probably.
SP fans are fortunate in the fact that they have quite a few SP steamers still extant, even if they are mostly of the "stuffed and mounted" variety or in museums. I really wish that some of the big Rio Grande steam locos were still around, especially an L131, 3600 class 2-8-8-2 which is my all time favorite locomotive. True, there quite a few narrow gauge locos still with us, but they aren't the same as the big mainline hogs.

Con

Date: 04/10/04 21:04
Re: A couple of more observations here
Author: xtra1188w

Sadly, but true, nothing lasts forever. I reckon that most of those railroaders of that past era are gone. Now the ones that still remember and saw that era when it was vital and part of "ordinary" everyday life are becoming senior citizens, and soon all that will be left from that once mighty and majestic part of our society will be in museums and books. Thankfully though, there are still younger people who look at and visit these relics and read about them, and want to keep them and even restore them for excursion operations. Hopefully tastes of that era will never completely vanish.
I recall that back in 1975 when I visited the Forney Museum in Denver, I was in the cab of a cold BigBoy that was there, they had provided stairs so that visitors could climb up to and get into the cab. While I was looking around in the cab of that BigBoy, there were two old men in there that were reminiscing about their days of running R-2's in Montana. I'll never forget that day, it was fascinating listening to those two old retired hogheads talk. R-2's on the GN were magnificent looking 2-8-8-2's. Rio Grande L131's were better looking engines, but not by much.

Con Sweet

Date: 04/10/04 23:05
Author: Captain92

I have a picture of my son sitting on the rod of that engine. That engine alone is worth the price of admission.
Lynn

Date: 04/10/04 23:32
Author: spnudge

Any sign of my 2-6-0 I built upstairs? They purchased it last summer for a display. They were going to hook it up to air but don't know.

Nudge

Date: 04/11/04 08:33
Author: Pullman

As amusing as all of the nostalgia is, one should recall that had the anti-trust issues not arisen, that the Harriman empire would have assimilated the SP and associated properties into the UP years before.

As much as anyone, I have a fondness for and family history with the Espee of long ago. But business is business, and the SP was just another merger victim in the end. We're lucky it lasted as long as it did.

Date: 04/11/04 13:51
Author: Steam2k

spnudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any sign of my 2-6-0 I built upstairs? They
> purchased it last summer for a display. They were
> going to hook it up to air but don't know.
>
> Nudge

When I went at the end of December, it was there in a glass case. Thats a nice looking engine! I wish I would have taken a picture of it.

Date: 04/16/04 21:26
Re: A couple of more observations here
Author: bearease

I think the key to this thread IS the nostalgia. The sad truth of the business dealings, etc. have their place. But I think Mr. xtra1188w hit it on the head when he mentioned the old timers talking about thier days on the railroad. I personally would love to hear the stories these men have to tell. And this forum is exactly the place for them. It must have been a complete rush to operate one of those machines -- I can't imagine what it would've been like. Please pour on the stories. I'll read them all!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds