Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Nostalgia & History > Cab Forward @ Gaviota 1947

Date: 04/28/04 13:01
Cab Forward @ Gaviota 1947
Author: HUSKERHERB

Just in case you were hoping for some vintage steam freight action over Gaviota, here is a SP AC Cab Forward working westbound in 1947. Taken the same day as the previous Morning Daylight image.

Date: 04/28/04 14:11
Re: Cab Forward @ Gaviota 1947
Author: Carnut

Huskerherb and (I assume) Lloyd, Another amazing photograph, the second one in 2 days. WONDERFUL!!!
I grew up in Santa Barbara, California during the 50's and as about a 9 year old had the good fortune to do a cab forward cab ride North about 20 miles from Santa Barbara on the old espee. What a thrill!

Date: 04/28/04 14:46
Author: tracktime

Excellent photo! I was born too late for this stuff, but it's difficult to imagine that cab forwards were an EVERYDAY common sight (and sound) on the good ole' Espee. I wish they saved more than just one of these great beasts.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 04/28/04 14:57
Author: africansteam

Boy, It just keeps getting better and better!

Thanks!
Africansteam

Date: 04/28/04 15:05

Yes Carnut, Lloyd especially since it was his Dad that recorded these historic images at Gaviota. I personally was fortunate enough to record images of Daylight #4449 on the coast in 1984/86 and what most likely was the last run of Daylight steam on the coast in 1989.

To have grown up in Santa Barbara especially while the Daylight was still under steam until 01/55 had to have been quite an experience. At least I've actually seen a Cab Forward up in Sacramento!

Date: 04/28/04 15:20

Thanks again for all of the enthusiasm and kind words!

More images on the way soon!

Date: 04/28/04 15:42
Author: Nitehostler

I can only second what Jack said! These are really great to look at.

Tom

Date: 04/28/04 16:01
Author: john1082

The neat thing about these two shots is that they were not staged for a photographer; photos of steam today almost always have plumes of black smoke pouring from the stack. In real life black smoke was a sign of a poor fireman (or of sanding the flues). A clean stack would likely have shown a plume of steam and a clear exhaust from the fire, and that is exactly what shows up in this photo.

Now if I only had that souped up DeLorean from the movie Back To The Future . . .

Date: 04/28/04 16:07
Midwestern Boy
Author: Erik

First off, let me say I love all the photos you have posted here. I wish I had a time machine for a few days!

I am not familiar with this part of the country and I was curious as to what the people in the picture are doing there. Is this a beach? If so, it must be a train watcher's paradise.

Thanks,

Erik

Date: 04/28/04 16:48
Re: Midwestern Boy

Erik,
Gaviota is on the California coast about 30 to 35 north of Santa Barbara, California. At the time of the photos it was part of the Espee's Coast Line between the major cities of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Roughly during the circa of the photos (IIRC), home to the Daylight, Starlight and Lark passenger trains. The track is currently part of the UP Santa Barbara Subdivision at MM 335
Then and now, Gaviota Beach is a State park.

Doug
Fullerton, CA

Date: 04/28/04 17:15
Re: Cab Forward # Santa Barb & Goleta
Author: spnudge

I remember riding in the car with my grandfather on 101, back to the ranch in Goleta and being beside an old west bound Mallet, climbing out of Santa Barb to Hope Ranch. Used to go to BBQs at the Hollister Ranch (past Gavotia towards Sacate & Drake.) All I cared about was the trains when I heard them. I sat for hours up on the hill with field glasses at night at the ranch watching trains come through La Patera & Goleta. The Wig-Wag at Kellog Ave, The two wig-wags at Fairview Ave and the flashers at the Sunkist packing plant on Stowe Canyon Road. And the cold mornings (few in SBA) you could watch the steam trails through Goleta as the trains went through.

I even remember when they used those new diesels. They didn't put water in the top of them like the steam engines. And then, 20 years later, I was a hoghead pulling trains through the same area between SBA & SLO.

Nudge

Date: 04/28/04 18:25
A first class Beach!
Author: Westbound

Erik Wrote:.........................
> I am not familiar with this part of the country
> and I was curious as to what the people in the
> picture are doing there. Erik

To make this really clear for non-Californians, the Pacific Ocean is just out of sight to the right and only a matter of feet away - or contacting the trestle given the right tides and wave action!

Date: 04/28/04 22:27
Author: Ed_Gyptian

Actually it's timetable and direction west of Santa Barbara. The coast runs almost due east and west from Ventura to Point Arguello.

My Dad saw his last few cab-aheads working on the Coast.

Date: 04/29/04 09:12

Here is a link (non-nostalgia) to an arial view of Gaviota, Highway 101 is in the background. If you want more resolution and have a fast internet connection, double-click the image.
http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=2912&mode=sequential&flags=0
Regards,
Doug
Fullerton, CA

Date: 04/29/04 12:39
Author: M-420

Outstanding

That shot would have brought a tear to my Uncle Jack's eye. (he was a career SP Man out of Oxnard)

Bravo

Brian E

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds