Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Nostalgia & History > Why is it called "Armour" yellow?

Date: 06/19/04 13:33
Why is it called "Armour" yellow?
Author: Doug

I'm curious about the name of UP's yellow. Anybody know? Thanks.

Date: 06/19/04 13:47
Re: Why is it called "Armour" yellow?
Author: ConductorAl

Because it is Armour Yellow. That shade of yellow first appeared on Armour Meat Packing refrigerated cars. That was way back when billboard style markings were still permitted on freight cars (pre-1930s). Armour had reefers with a yellow background and Swift had boxcars with a Fire Engine Red background.

Date: 06/19/04 13:56
Author: Doug

I was wondering if it had anything to do with Armour Meats -- now I know. I wonder if UP had to pay license fees to Armour Meat...

Date: 06/19/04 15:21
Author: filmteknik

What do you mean by "back when billboard style markings were still permitted" ? Are you saying advertising is no longer allowed?

Date: 06/20/04 09:39
Author: ConductorAl

Yep. Way back when, either the A. A. R. or the A. R. A. (can't quite remember which it was)made a change in standards for freight car markings. This had more to do with car ownership issues than anything else, though I don't recall the exact details. Finally, UP doesn't have to pay royalties to Armour since it isn't a trademarked color (so far as I know).

Date: 06/21/04 13:26
Author: WC_4ever

Private company advertising on railcars was outlawed around 1929. The practice was deemed unfair, as a shipper might be loading product into a car that was advertising one of their competitor's products.

Andy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds