Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Nostalgia & History > Wreck at Burbank Jct circa 1968

Date: 07/23/04 22:54
Wreck at Burbank Jct circa 1968
Author: lboyd

My best friend and I are originally from Burbank and were collectively remembering about a wreck at Burbank Jct in the 1966-1969 time frame. It missed the tower, although I read in the local scandal sheet that the operator broke his leg jumping ship. Does anyone have any details on this mishap? Burbank HS is approx 1/4 mile away and attracted a large crowd of onlookers to the Burbank Blvd bridge during lunch time. (gawd, I haven't used the name Burbank that many times in one paragraph in 30 years!)
...Lorenzo

Date: 07/24/04 09:41
Re: Wreck at Burbank Jct circa 1968
Author: spnudge

There was one where a car of lumber got away north of Burbank. A switch crew thought they could go north and then start south in front of the car and make a joint and stop it. The car was coming too fast and they never had a chance. I beleive the hoghead and one or two others were killed.

Nudge

Date: 07/24/04 09:50
Author: africansteam

The wreck that Nudge refers to was a few of years earlier, and did indeed result in the deaths of the crew, and the incineration of a GP-9 and steel caboose. I think it actually took place at the entrance to Taylor Yard.

I lived in North Hollywood at the time, and took some photos in the evening when they were just starting to clean up the Burbank Junction wreck. I will post them when I can find the time. In the interim check out:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/1916/index.html

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/1916/burbank.wreck.jpg

By the way, I have enjoyed your recent postings, and those of Derek, on the current status of the branch, but have been too busy to really make any intelligent comments.

Cheers,
Africansteam

Date: 07/24/04 12:04
Author: sploopconductor

That one at Burbank was the "Smokey", fell asleep hit the curve a little fast. My Dad and I went there and brought home carrots and celery, etc. The SP spread the word over radio and TV for the public to "come and get the veggies". It was a mess! Alot of people were taking them up on the offer ... better than going to waste.

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 07/24/04 17:27
Author: lboyd

In the newspaper account, the lumber flat departed the San Fernando yard. A motorcycle officer preceeded the car and stopped traffic at the crossings, since the car was exceeding crossing signal design speed. And the collision took place near Fletcher Dr, just north of the Taylor Yard. In the newspaper pix, only lumber was visible.
...Lorenzo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds