Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Grab Shot from '82

Date: 07/28/04 21:43
A Grab Shot from '82
Author: BNSFhogger

Taken from the Coast Starlite on April 7, 1982.

Date: 07/28/04 22:22
Re: A Grab Shot from '82
Author: southlandwarrior

Talk about timing. Just moments out of LAUPT, looks like you've just crossed Main St., with SP holding short of the crossing and Santa Fe rolling off the Pasadena Sub heading toward Hobart. Seems amazing that you were able to catch an ATSF loco in the old pre-yellowbonnet freight scheme that late, and on the point no less. Thanks for sharing that great photo.

Date: 07/29/04 12:16
Author: espeeboy

Ditto on these comments. This is right where I was trained as a young railfan every Saturday morning with my dad in the mid to late 80's. In 1982 at three years old I wasn't really hanging out there at Main St. yet but the L.A. River territory is still fresh and familiar in my mind. Also amazed that you caught two old ATSF pinstripe units in that consist with this fairly "new" clean Espee SD40R posing for you there at Main. I am guessing the 7313 was holding there in the normal holding eastbound spot. What westbound train were you on BNSF hogger - an SP freight or #14???

Always found it funny that an Espee train headed south down the river to Redondo JCT and beyond would change from an eastbound to a westbound at thedDiamonds there at East Bank JCT.

southlandwarrior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Talk about timing. Just moments out of LAUPT,
> looks like you've just crossed Main St., with SP
> holding short of the crossing and Santa Fe rolling
> off the Pasadena Sub heading toward Hobart. Seems
> amazing that you were able to catch an ATSF loco
> in the old pre-yellowbonnet freight scheme that
> late, and on the point no less. Thanks for sharing
> that great photo.
>

Date: 07/29/04 12:45
Author: HUSKERHERB

Great timing and photo to be sure!

I used to spend my weekends shooting AT&SF/SP action at the base of Mission Tower in the early 1980's.

Date: 07/29/04 12:54
Author: espeeboy

just noticed though that there are a few photoshop non-enhanced areas that need to be cleaned up. still - sweet photo.

Date: 07/29/04 15:52
Author: BNSFhogger

I was in a coach seat on a Superliner just leaving LAUPT. Didn't have time to Focus or adjust the shutter. There was a little coach window reflection that I tried to get rid of with Photoshop.

Date: 07/29/04 16:21
Author: BulletBob

That is a great shot. It must have been a good rainfall year as the Elysian Park hills are unusually green yet the LA River is about normal.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds