Home Open Account Help 159 users online

Nostalgia & History > Western Maryland BL2

Date: 07/30/04 21:06
Western Maryland BL2
Author: 3rdswitch

On my one and only visit ever to the Western Maryland in August '73, this BL2 and slug were working the Hagerstown, MD, hump.
JB

Date: 07/30/04 21:17
Re: Western Maryland BL2
Author: choochoodriver

The carbodies always reminded me of the old Schwinn chain guards

Date: 08/05/04 12:13
Author: twinbrook

As I recall, both WM 81 and 82 were working the Hagerstown yard about that time. Didn't these units start as road units? My memory begins to fade, but didn't the BL-2's pull passenger trains?

Date: 08/05/04 17:59
Author: tp117

WM's BL2s were definetly used in road freight service. I even rode one leading BH1 from Westminster to Union Bridge; or was that the night we rode all the way to highfield and had to hitch-hike back before my erman final the next day? I have a number of train notes proving their use in regular freight service and a few pictures. Since they had lighter frames than other uniys, per WM TT instructions they had to be the first or second units in a lash up. I've seen them mixed with most other units. I even have a photo of both of them in a five unit helper consist. Once WM converted them to hump power they stayed there, I believe. By that time i was far removed from the best little Class I in the country, the WM!

WM, with only about 125 total units in a prior second generation roster, could muster up some of the highest number of loco variations in a consist compared to much larger roads.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0314 seconds