Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Nostalgia & History > #99 on Possum Belly Curve

Date: 08/25/04 15:32
#99 on Possum Belly Curve
Author: HUSKERHERB

#4449 and the World's Fair Daylight, running as Train #99 Coast Daylight, pull through the East Bank Junction on the return leg up the coastline to home in Portland, OR.

Date: 08/25/04 16:28
Re: #99 on Possum Belly Curve
Author: espeeboy

Great shot! This is the exact spot me and my dad hung out at during the mid to late 80's and early 90's next to the San Antonio Winery parking lot and East Bank curve to Shops Yard and Alhambra. Is this LAUPT outbound curve really called Possum Belly Curve? Anyone know the reason for the name and who named it that?

Date: 08/25/04 19:46

Thanks espeeboy.

You're right, this was a great spot to just walk up to from the winery parking lot. Of course it is now fenced off.

While talking with some maintainers on the way over to Mission Tower, I believe I asked and was told it was called "Possum Belly". As to how it derived its name, I believe at one time there were some hobo jungles in the immediate area along with a fair number of possums. The rest is history as they say.

Date: 08/26/04 01:01
Author: choochoocharlie

Love your 4449 shots. Let's see more. My favorite and most photographed engine. STEAM RULES!!!!!!! ...........Especially 4449. Can't beat the color. One of these days I'll slip some of my stuff in too. I've got a couple shots of it. Even did a multimedia program of it with 16 original sound recordings. Wouldn't have been a good program without sounds of the engine in it....... C.C.Chas.

Date: 08/26/04 13:46

Thanks choochoocharlie for the fine comments.

I'd have no problem with posting up a few more images. Would like to see your shots as well. My prized keepsake is pacing the #4449 on video south of Gaviota down the 101 to Santa Barbara in 1989.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0328 seconds